Blubrry Podcasting Community Forum

News And Discussion => Podcast Community News => Topic started by: Jason Klarl on January 29, 2017, 12:17:03 am

Title: Trump, the media war, and the podcasting community
Post by: Jason Klarl on January 29, 2017, 12:17:03 am
I'm going to be really blunt.  There is absolutely no reason to expect that the Trump administration will uphold First Amendment rights given his "war on the media".  And even though he's mostly concerned with the mainstream media and how he's being represented, it's not such a stretch of the imagination to suggest that eventually he could start going after podcasters as well.  You've heard it before.  It's not paranoia if someone is really after you.  Blubrry is not an internationl health organization in danger of losing federal funding.  But suppose that--God forbid!--a podcaster with decent enough numbers wanted to talk about abortion for example.  Or immigration, or climate change, or any number of Trump policies in such a way that might be less than flattering.  So my question here is, what measures has Blubrry taken, or is prepared to take on behalf of the podcasting community in order to defend free speech?  I'm also interested to hear from other podcasters with similar concerns.

From Salon http://www.salon.com/2017/01/25/donald-trumps-escalating-war-against-the-media_partner/ ...

"The First Amendment lawyers agreed that the stakes are enormous, because the media—whether mainstream reporters, alternative press, blogs or social media—is the Constitution’s check and balance against political tyranny.

On a more day-to-day level, Trump’s deepening war with the media means the public is going to have to get used to a president that lies, distorts, bullies and evades. Meanwhile, the media is going to have to get used to being threatened, hounded and likely spied on—and possibly prosecuted—if it dares speak true to power in Trump’s America."