Author Topic: Equipment required to start a podcast  (Read 233 times)

Jo

• Rookie
Equipment required to start a podcast
« on: August 26, 2018, 11:49:44 am »
Hi
Apologies if this question has been posted a thousand times already but I'm looking to start a podcast from my office in the house

Please can anyone make any recommendations on the kit required to do this, I don't want to cut corners but need to keep costs down initially, that being said tried and tested kit recommendation would be great.

The office is just a small room with a window and a desk.

Any recommendations on the kit required would be greatly appreciated. At this time, I have a laptop only.

thank you

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Equipment required to start a podcast
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 01:07:40 pm »
WHat are you looking to do? Will you have only one person in your room that needs a microphone? Or more than one?

Are you planning on recording with remote guests? Or just doing a solo show and/or a show with other people only in your room?

Jo

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 01:13:24 pm »
Hi

Just one person initially in the room, can expand later.

Yes i will record with remote guests and a lot will be solo.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 10:10:43 pm »
Many podcasters have a good experience starting with the AudioTechnica ATR2100 microphone. It's a relatively inexpensive, good-sounding mic that can be used as a USB microphone connected directly to a computer for recording. If you expand down the road, the ATR2100 can also be used as an analog XLR microphone, so you can plug it into a mixer or multichannel audio interface.

For recording remote guests, many podcasters use Skype. There are a number of ways to record Skype calls, depending on the operating system of your computer. Also, Skype is slowly rolling out a built-in recording functionality to all users, so you'll be able to record Skype calls right there within the app without any additional software.