Author Topic: Where Is the .xml Feed file?  (Read 1723 times)

Roy Koch

Where Is the .xml Feed file?
« on: February 13, 2016, 09:51:52 am »
Sorry for a newbie question.  I'm new to podcasting.  I downloaded Power Press to my WordPress site and used it to create a feed file that I then successfully submitted to iTunes.  I would like to view and maybe edit the .xml Feed file itself.

I can't find the .xml feed file anywhere in my server directory.  Where is it?  Does it really exist as a separate file or does WordPress and Power Press create it "on the fly" when a request comes to the site for it??

Thanks.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Where Is the .xml Feed file?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 12:24:55 pm »
PowerPress dynamically creates the xml feed.  So there is no file to edit. 

You can edit all the settings in the PowerPress settings tabs (advanced mode).  There is no way to be able to edit the actual feed.

See: http://create.blubrry.com/resources/powerpress/powerpress-settings/

Mike Dell
Blubrry and RawVoice Support
twitter: mgdell

*** if you love PowerPress, Please rate and review PowerPress here: https://wordpress.org/support/view/plugin-reviews/powerpress?rate=5#postform

Roy Koch

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 01:05:55 pm »
Thanks, Mike.  I'm a bit disappointed but I guess I can live with it!

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 02:23:39 pm »
There is a plugin that works with PowerPress called Static Feed. 

The deal with that is it will write an .xml file to your webserver and it works great.  But you can not go in and edit the file because the next time you post and episode from WordPress and PowerPress, it will overwrite the file. 

Does that help you at all? 

-Mike

Roy Koch

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 09:28:25 am »
Thanks again, Mike.  You've been a big help.

I do have another question that I bet you can answer.  Remember, this is all very new to me and the question may seem elementary.

I successfully uploaded my podcast and my first episode to iTunes.  I did it by publishing a post with a link to the episode and filling out the forms on Power Press.  Now I want to upload episode #2 to iTunes.  I actually have about 50 episodes ready to upload.  Do I simply publish a post with a link to episode #2 and then Power Press will modify the RSS feed file that iTunes sees and iTunes will automatically post episode #2?  Do I have to go to iTunes and submit the RSS feed file address again?  Is there a slick way to put the about 50 episodes on iTunes without publishing 50 posts? 

Thanks again.

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 10:16:02 am »
Yes, you don't have to worry about iTunes now that it has your RSS feed.

When you add an episode, iTunes will look at your RSS feed and update your listing (some delay is normal) and your subscribers will get your new episode (without delay)

-Mike

Roy Koch

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 10:22:55 am »
Mike -- What if I added Static Feed and let it make the .xml file.  Next I deactivate the Power Press and Static Feed plugins.  It seems that now I would have an .xml file that would allow me to edit it without it being changed behind my back.  Do you think that would work?

Thanks.

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 10:25:14 am »
Yes, it would work, but why would you do that?