Author Topic: Major audio glitch anomaly  (Read 300 times)

Caleb

• Rookie
Major audio glitch anomaly
« on: October 24, 2018, 03:52:29 pm »
Hi everyone — I've been having this issue for quite some time and despite my best troubleshooting efforts, have not had any luck. I joined this forum to see if I could get some insight. Also, this forum looks pretty amazing, so I'll be browsing quite a bit soon!
Long story short, I have been having this static or something during my recordings. Most of the time, it's within the first 1-2 minutes and then stops after that.
Here's my gear list (pretty simple setup) —Mackie 1402VLZ; Proaudio mic cables (x2); Heil PR40 mics (x2); using an iMic to USB to record to a 2013 MacBook Air in Garage Band. I thought maybe my GB template was corrupt, so I started recording to a new Project. That worked for about a week.
I managed to get a recording of the noise too, which you can listen to here (SoundCloud private track): https://soundcloud.com/elevatorworld/audio-glitch-issue-102218-1427/s-cR91G

Other troubleshooting efforts: disconnected all cables, including the mic cables... still records the noise, which leads me to believe it is something with the iMic adapter? Any recommendations on a better set up too are absolutely welcome. Sorry for the long post, thank you in advance!

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Major audio glitch anomaly
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 01:26:24 pm »
You're taking an audio output from the mixer into an input on the iMic, correct?

My first guess on this is bad cables/connections somewhere. If you plug headphones directly into the mixer, do you hear the noise over your headphones? If not, then it's likely a problem between the mixer/iMic/computer. Any chance that MacBook has an audio-input jack of its own? I can't remember exactly what is the cutoff year where Apple stopped adding audio-in jacks to their computers.

Caleb

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 02:58:06 pm »
Thank you for the reply  — I will take your tips and investigate further. Yes, going from the output of the mixer into the iMic converter, which takes the audio cable and converts it to USB, because, yes — MacBook does not have a separate audio input port.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 03:10:40 pm »
Overall, the type of noise in your recording sounds to me like a bad cable/connection.

If you don't hear the noise by connecting headphones directly to the mixer. it's likely an issue between the mixer and iMic. I'd check that cable first. If the iMic has more than one input, try all of its different inputs and see if that clears anything up.

If you hear the noise with the headphones plugged directly in to the mixer, then the problem is almost certainly with the mics, mic cables, or the mixer itself.