Author Topic: Can't record remotely  (Read 602 times)

MK Ultra

• Rookie
Can't record remotely
« on: May 31, 2018, 11:37:12 pm »
Hey guys, my first time here. I've been tearing my hair out for weeks, watching tutorials getting nowhere; onto my issue.

I've got a Lexicon alpha sound interface connected to my PC, a Behringer xenyx1002 mixer connected to that with my xlr mic hooked to that.

I cannot seem to figure out how to record both myself and whoever I am talking to remotely. Ive used audacity on both PC and Mac, I've tried QuickTime. I have been using Skype and Discord. Plugged everything in every possible order and same results. I am missing something clearly. I have my headphones into the Lexicon sound interface and hear myself and my guest, but only see my levels going and only myself being recorded.

Not sure if it's a hardware issue or software.

Thanks

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Can't record remotely
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 11:46:48 pm »
When talking about specific pieces of gear it can be difficult to offer advice without having practical experience with that gear. And in your case, I don't have that experience.

Here's a few places you may want to consider crossposting your question where you're more likely to get some useful responses:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/podcastmovement/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PodcastCommunity/

https://plus.google.com/communities/102333709604116814839

MK Ultra

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 03:20:57 am »
Thanks Shawn, I'll look into those links.

On a different note, being a film and television guy I got equipment that I'm familiar with; the mixer and microphones etc, but the computer being the "recorder" and software is what I'm unfamiliar with.

Is it normal for Audacity to record both parties on a Skype or other voip service? And would it work if I just plugged in a plain old USB mic directly to the computer?

Thanks again, I'll go try and figure this out.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 12:23:31 pm »
Are you using a Mac or a Windows (or Linux!)-based computer?

Generally speaking, applications like Audacity won't record both sides of a Skype call without some internal routing of audio, which can be achieved thru software in some cases. Alternatively, there are call recorders designed specifically for this purpose, depending on your platform.

MK Ultra

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 03:59:18 pm »
Using both mac and PC, mainly to see why I wasn't getting both sides of the call recorded. So that's normal from what you're saying without special software.

I've tried Pamela on PC for Skype, seems the YouTube video tutorials I find are all severely outdated and none of the software resembles the tutorials, which is what drove me to throw out my issues on a forum.

If it's special software I need for Audacity to record both sides of a call, I'll just look for whatever that might be, Thanks again.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 04:12:02 pm »
I've not used Pamela but based on what I've seen over the years from other podcasters, it sucks. Don't use it.

On the Mac, there's a popular program for recording Skype audio called Ecamm Call Recorder. I've used it and can say it works well.

Others have reported good experiences with MP3 Skype Recorder (I think that's the name?) for Windows. Only drawback there is, it only records in mp3 format, so you're dealing with compressed audio to begin with. Not ideal but definitely workable.

Keep in mind that Microsoft recently announced it will be adding some type of recording feature to Skype itself in the near future. Not sure when that's supposed to be available.

There's also a fantastic application for recording ANY audio on a Mac called Audio Hijack. They've even got a Skype recording template.

MK Ultra

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 01:54:34 pm »
Thanks Shawn, you've been really helpful.

I'm going to try those programs out, and yes Pamela was pretty bad.

If I get some success I'll let you guys know.