Author Topic: Monetizing your small to medium podcast  (Read 1080 times)

Shane Martin

• Rookie
Monetizing your small to medium podcast
« on: May 01, 2018, 02:12:11 pm »
Hi everyone, I have a question/idea I wanted to run by all the podcasters out there. It has to do with a monetization strategy.

About a year or so ago we helped one of our clients (who has a mildly successful podcast) implement a paid membership model and the results were pretty ridiculous. Up until this point, he made a little cash from some minor ads/sponsorships, but after we implemented the membership system, his revenue went up 5x.

So that got me thinking, why dont other podcasters use this strategy? I mean, in order to make any decent money with ads/sponsors you need to have a pretty huge audience, but with the membership model we can actually shortcut or circumvent that.

For instance, check out these quick back-of-the-napkin numbers:

We found that we are able to convert anywhere between 5 and 10% of your current audience to paid membership. So say your Facebook Fans are at 20k.

20,000x .08 (8% conversion) = 1600 potential members
1600 x $7 p/m = 11,200 per month in recurring revenue.

That is wayyyy more than that same size audience could garner from ads or sponsorships.

Anyhow, I wanted to pose this to everyone in this group to get your thoughts. Im exploring the idea of potentially helping other podcasters do exactly what we did for this client but before I do that, I want to kind of hear what you think about it, any hesitations or objections you might have. Happy to go into detail on what the membership packages might look like or answer whatever questions you've got.

Thanks everyone!

Leon Reynolds

• Rookie
Re: Monetizing your small to medium podcast
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 04:34:27 am »
Cool