Author Topic: Can I post a podcast without having to publish a blog post?  (Read 1229 times)

Susan Hanaford

Can I post a podcast without having to publish a blog post?
« on: August 03, 2017, 03:23:38 pm »
Hi Shawn :-)

One of my clients asks: "Do you know how to post a podcast without having to publish a blog?" This is probably stupid easy...maybe something like publish the post but have the WP post setting to private so its not public? Would itunes and the others still recognize it and post?

She also say: "So we're trying to figure out how to do this and read this article https://support.libsyn.com/kb/publishing-a-podcast-episode/ but it's still not working."

Can she actually do this thru Lybsyn?

Thanks SO much!!

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Can I post a podcast without having to publish a blog post?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 12:14:00 pm »
Can you elaborate on what you're trying to achieve? Are you trying to produce a "private" podcast that isn't discoverable/public? Or something else?

Susan Hanaford

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 03:43:42 pm »
Hey Shawn :-)

I aske her to clarify. She said:

"I want to post fb lives, webinars ect...as podcasts in itunes...I know it's possible because Denise Duffield-Thomas does it all the time. I check her blog on her website after she uploads like a fb live to itunes and it's not on her website. We tried temporarily creating a fake post so it'd post to the podcast, but once I unpublish or "private" its removed from the podcast station. My podcast isn't a typical podcast, it's just a place where I upload content I've created."

I asked:
"So Denise's FB Lives end up on itunes. You want to do a FB live or a webinar and have it post as a podcast in itunes without having to do it by making a blog post on your website? Just want to make sure I completely understand :-)"

She replied:
"Yes they do... and yes, fb lives and webinars, videos I post of fb, ect."

Any idea how a facbook live or a webinar gets turned into and posted as a podcast in itunes Shawn?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 01:31:20 pm »
A bit of googling turned up this listing for a show produced by Denise:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-lucky-bitch-podcast/id888379834?mt=2

That listing is working off of this feed:
http://luckybitch.libsyn.com/rss

Which is a LibSyn-hosted feed. So, Denise is using the LibSyn system to publish the feed, and in turn, syndicate to places like the iTunes Store. That's likely how she's publishing the podcasts and not having them show up on her main website. There's really no way to do this with WordPress/PowerPress, as PowerPress can only create podcast episodes as WordPress posts. If your client wants to publish podcasts that don't appear on her website, she'd need an external solution to do so.