Author Topic: Open subscribe link in new tab  (Read 806 times)

C.L. Fornari

• Rookie
Open subscribe link in new tab
« on: May 10, 2017, 10:31:55 am »
I would like to have the subscribe links open in a new tab/window so that the user still has the website open after subscribing.  It looks like I could do it with
a
{
target-name:new;
target-new:tab;
}
but I need the correct css reference to do it.  Can anyone tell me what that would be?  I'm currently trying out the subscribe template page.

Thanks!

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Open subscribe link in new tab
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 10:54:42 am »
I have a request into the lead developer of PowerPress to find out if this is possible. Either he'll post a response here, or I'll come back with whatever he has to say about it.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Open subscribe link in new tab
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 12:28:04 pm »
Here's exactly what the lead developer had to say about your question:

I had to do research on this. As of present it is not supported by any of the major browsers. https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_target-name.asp

The new window is frowned down upon in web development. Specifically with the subscribe links, if the application is on a platform that supports them, then the new window will load a blank page then run the application itself, which may leave a blank new window artifact that then confuses the user at a later time. They are welcome though to use JavaScript, or more specifically, JQuery to set target events for the links. We use common CSS classes for the links and it is easy to create events with jQuery for them if they so desire.