Author Topic: Finding Your Audience  (Read 660 times)

Landen Celano

• Rookie
Finding Your Audience
« on: May 06, 2017, 12:18:19 am »
Greetings, all.

This is my first time posting. I saw there was an existing topic for expanding your audience, but I think this is slightly different.

I'd like to start a discussion about finding and establishing an audience.

It seems it would be much easier for some podcasts than others to know who, (and thus how), to market the show to. For instance, personal finance podcasts, or podcasts about podcasting have a very specific built in audience. A few keyword searches, and bang, you're on your way. But what about podcasts that deal with the super broad or super narrow?

Our show is just getting off the ground, and we have a very specific topic. It's about a nineties sitcom, which admittedly no one is talking much about these days. Therefore, there isn't a large built-in audience for us. While we're incredibly specific, I could see this also being a problem for shows that are super broad, like all-inclusive pop culture shows.

We're trying to hit all the big keywords – tv show, the star's name, the show's name, etc. – so that people can easily find us, but in terms of where we can look, we're coming up dry. We're trying to engage people on the usual suspects of social networks, but, again, it's hard to find specific fans of the show.

What has been successful for some of you guys in the past?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Finding Your Audience
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 01:33:40 pm »
The best approach is to usually to engage with communities that cater to your niche without coming off spammy. If the only times people see you post, it's for promotional purposes, that doesn't generate interest. Develop a reputation for providing value in those communities. Then, when there's a legit opportunity to promote your podcast, people will be interested.