Author Topic: Another memory allocation problem  (Read 2249 times)

Brandman University

• Rookie
Another memory allocation problem
« on: January 12, 2016, 12:11:52 pm »
Hello I too am having an issue with memory allocation errors very similar to the post a few months ago (https://forum.blubrry.com/index.php/topic,6528.0.html). Strangely my podcasts pull through to iTunes just fine but do not show up on my blubrry podcast directory. The files all verify and the players work just fine on our site as well. Below is the only warning on the diagnostic page:

WordPress Version 4.4.1
Your version of PHP (5.4.33) is OK!
You are using 19% (48.9M of 256M) of available memory.
Temporary directory /home/jcockrellbrand/public_html/wp-content/uploads/ is writable.
Warning: PHP running in CGI mode.

The memory allocation error also shows on the feed for my podcast directory: http://brandmannews.org/feed/podcast/

Any help appreciated in trying to figure this out.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Another memory allocation problem
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 02:06:05 pm »
Likely you are having a plugin conflict with another plugin.

See: http://create.blubrry.com/resources/powerpress/using-powerpress/diagnosing-feed-andor-player-issues-with-powerpress/ to troubleshoot the problem.

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 02:46:00 pm »
Is it happening consistently or randomly?

Stephen Ashley

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 06:59:52 am »
I just had the memory allocation message when trying to post m4a files. (mp3s posted without problem.) The problem appears to stem from the plugin 'Duplicator' - as soon as I disabled it, the m4a posted perfectly. Duplicator was updated 4 weeks ago, PowerPress was updated 2 weeks ago... over to Blubrry!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 09:46:58 am »
It could be a problem in PowePress, during the validating process. The media file is tested to obtain the duration and file size. If you do not mind, please try saving the m4a episode specifying the file size and duration and see if you still get the memory allocation error. That will narrow the problem down to the validating logic if saving when you specify the duration and file size does not give the memory error.

Also, I will take a quick look at the Duplicator plugin. Plugins in the past have changed the memory limit for PHP scripts, which is a bad practice but would obviously cause the issue.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 09:47:38 am »
Also do you mind replying with a link to one of the m4a files so I can test? If you do not wish to share in the forum, please feel free to email me at angelo [at] blubrry.com, thanks!

Stephen Ashley

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 12:59:27 pm »
Sorry for delay in replying - I don't check the forum very often. Here's a link to one of the m4a files:
http://www.hotpipes.eu/audio/Hot-Pipes-178.m4a

I'll check the manual adding of the m4a attributes shortly and advise of results.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 05:40:58 pm »
I was able to verify the m4a file in question both in our sandbox and on our dev machine without any memory errors. We're not using the Duplicator plugin though.

I did take a look at the Duplicator plugin, it does change the memory limit, on line 176 of the package.php file in that plugin it tries to set the memory limit. It sets it to a very large value, of 5000M (5 GB). I would reach out to this developer and ask why they are going to that extreme. If the web server does not have that much memory available (most would not) yet the php script needs it, you will have the errors you are describing.