Author Topic: Itunes submission data not appearing  (Read 8372 times)

upekshapriya

Itunes submission data not appearing
« on: January 25, 2009, 09:32:59 am »
I've just discovered when I try to submit a podcast with Powerpress that the iTunes summary and the iTunes Progam subtitle are not entered as Long title and Short title, which I assume they should be.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Itunes submission data not appearing
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 02:36:42 pm »
The iTunes subtitle is the first 250 readable words from your blog post and the itunes summary is the first 4,000 readable words from your blog post. If you use the excerpt field in Wordpress, then Powerpress will use that value as your iTunes summary.

As you point out, the summary or subtitle does not come from your blog post title. If you take a look at your podcast in iTunes, you will see that the subtitle information is typically what you want to appear, as the grid will already display the title of the episode/post. If there is a reason you would want your post title to be the value in your subtitle and/or summary, please email me with a good explanation and if it makes sense I'll add an option to the settings. cio [at] rawvoice .(dot) com

upekshapriya

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 01:35:18 pm »
Thank you very much for your reply.

The reason I asked this is that never having submitted a podcast feed to iTunes before I clicked the link in the Powerpress settings and got directed to iTunes and after logging in I find that I am presented with the following:

I'm surprised that 'Short description' and 'Long description' are empty and wonder how they can be filled. I assumed they entries I made in the Powerpress settings page would appear there.

It's rather strange to see empty entries when submitting the podcast.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:37:43 pm by upekshapriya »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 03:08:59 pm »
The summary and description you enter in the Powerpress settings should be displayed here. You may want to double check the "Blubrry Powerpress" settings found under the "Settings" section of your Wordpress Administration Panel. the Sort Description is your "Subtitle" and the Long Description is your "Summary". Very important these fields do not contain HTML.

I just noticed that you're trying to submit your main feed (not podcast feed) to iTunes. Doing so is fine but you will need to set the "Apply Settings to" to "Main RSS feed" or "All RSS feeds" in order for your itunes tags to appear in the main feed.

You may want to run your feed through feedvalidator.org by the way, It does not validate.