Author Topic: File Manager  (Read 3036 times)

rburns

File Manager
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:38:50 pm »
Allow file uploads through the podcast tool.
It is a pain uploading the podcast, editing, placing in a folder, selecting the hyperlink, copy, paste, edit again the post, and add the podcast link in the podcast tool. Then to have to do the same thing for the podcast image. WordPress handles all of my files, I'm not sure how difficult it would be, but I've seen mediocre plugins handle uploading new media. And this being the best plugin I have for WordPress, I know that it is capable!
 :P

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: File Manager
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 07:15:31 pm »
If you host your media files on blubrry.com (http://create.blubrry.com/resources/podcast-media-hosting/) you can upload right from your wordpress blog.

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: File Manager
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 10:15:08 am »
We've discussed this a number of times before in this forum.

The actual file size of the media is magnitudes larger than when you're working with images and other blog file attachments. File uploads are set to size limits that is unpredictable, this is a product of PHP itself, not our app or WordPress. Most hosting companies use 2MB, some will allow 5-10MB. The average audio podcast is usually 30MB in size, video is in the 400MB+ size. Providing uploads for such large files is just not possible without being the administrator of your own web site. And if you are, you know you do not want to increase your file upload limit do to it opening up possibilities of Denial of Service (DoS) file upload attacks.

We provide a plugin that works consistently across all web hosting providers. In order to provide the same experience for all WordPress hosting providers, the handling of uploads is left to the hosting company. Usually they provide FTP.

Keep in mind you should not host your media on the same server as your web site. Learn why here: http://create.blubrry.com/manual/internet-media-hosting/ If you're serious about podcasting, you're not going to host your media on your web site in the first place.