Author Topic: File Size, File Duration Problem?  (Read 1224 times)

TheTechMan

File Size, File Duration Problem?
« on: March 20, 2013, 11:13:29 pm »
I am using the most up to date version of WordPress and the most up to date version of PowerPress.

The file size for my podcast episodes show up but the file duration does not, this is happening on every episode..

Here is a link to an episode: http://thetechman.tk/ep-005-making-your-facebook-more-secure-and-private/

Here is the settings that I have set for it...

Episode Entry Options
Podcast Entry Box    Configure your podcast episode entry box with the options that fit your needs.
                                     (checked) Media URL (Specify URL to episode's media file)
                                     (checked) Media File Size and Duration (Specify episode's media file size and duration)

File Size Default:    Auto detect file size
Duration Default:     Auto detect duration (mp3s only)

Please help?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: File Size, File Duration Problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 10:15:23 am »
Your ID3 tag header data is over 1/2MB in size. Try using a smaller poster art image in your media. If you convert your image to a jpg alone it will be much smaller with the same picture quality. There's no need to use the itunes 1400 x 1400 image inside your mp3, 600x600 or 300x300 is fine for your ID3 artwork.

The smaller you make this image and your id3 headers, the faster the media will play when played back on the web. The streaming will have to download the first 1MB of your media file before it gets to the actual audio.

You can continue to ues the large image in your media, just keep in mind PowerPress only downloads the first 1/2 MB of the file to detect duration, and if your ID3 tags exceed that 1/2MB then we can't detect it obvioulsy.

You can search this forum for instructions how to increase this download size, if you are comfortable editing your wp-config.php.

TheTechMan

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 02:02:51 pm »
Ok I went back and changed the poster art image in my media to 300X300 pixels in png format (78.2 KB), I then reuploaded my media to my media hosting, I then clicked VERIFY in my post to re-verify the podcast, the duration is still not displaing on my paghe?

Please help?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 02:40:08 pm »
What's the URL to this media file with the smaller image?

TheTechMan

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 02:44:45 pm »
Never mind, I have solved it. I just used your suggestion and increased the download size, I have made it 2MB.
Thank you for your help, it did point me in the right direction.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 02:47:10 pm »
2MB is a lot in ID3 tags, wonder if your audio editor is adding other data like captioning to the Id3 tags?

TheTechMan

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 03:04:23 pm »
I don't think so. I use Audacity to record and edit my audio, I don't set any tags in Audacity. I use ID3 Tag Editor to set the tags.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 04:14:11 pm »
May be something the tag editor is doing. Next episode, try using iTunes to write your tags. Instructions here: http://create.blubrry.com/manual/creating-podcast-media/audio/id3-tags-media-meta-data/

Last time we tested EasyTag though it worked quite well, so that be strange. Only guess is maybe easy tag appended the artwork, rather than overwriting the old one. You can technically have multiple images in your mp3.

TheTechMan

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 10:29:22 pm »
On the next 2 episode I do, I will do one with Easy Tag and the other with iTunes, I will then report back here what I find out for both.
Once again, I thank you very much for your help and support. I really do appreciate it.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 10:32:59 pm »
No problem!