Author Topic: html5 player  (Read 3765 times)

1luckycat

html5 player
« on: March 10, 2013, 04:20:16 am »
I have just begun to evaluate the html5 player in a temp post on my website. Is it possible to style this player? I would like to adjust the color & the size, and if possible, can the player be set to remain open? Any advice and comments are appreciated. thanx.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: html5 player
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:21:18 am »
The HTML5 player's look and function is specific to each web browser and platform. The advantages to this are multi-fold. Someone using an iPad for example will already be accustomed to their media player, so the look is identical (this holds true for all browsers/devices). Because it is native, there's no extra code or scripting involved, so the player works 100% all the time. No additional libraries or javascript is required to provide native HTML5 support to your site. Such pages with this player load very fast since there's no extra code to process on page loads.

There are many "HTML5" based players available that use javascript to add theme-able players. 

If you are looking for an HTML5 video player that can be styled in PowerPress, go to PowerPress Settings > Video, select the "VideoJS" player. This is an HTML5 javascript based player that integrates with PowerPress, it can be styled with your own CSS.

Because mp3 is still the dominate audio format and only Android, iOS and IE's HTML5 audio player will play mp3, the flash based players are still preferred for audio.

Do you need the player for audio or video?

1luckycat

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 03:48:09 am »
Hello angelo,

Thanx for the quick response. Actually this morn I decided to go with the blubrry player. I had 3 html5 players on the site all working without a conflict, but each of the other players had an issue. One was not mobile responsive, the other changed shape when the iPhone was rotated to it's side. So, the blubrry player is in.

I'm rebuilding a WP site on Genesis after 3 years with a free-theme. I'm not a coder so it's been uphill but successful.  I record professionally and I'm going to have a Narration/VoiceOver Page where I need a couple of demo players. I'd like to be able to css restyle the player but it's not critical. I can live with it. I like the fact that the player reverts to a flash player if HTML5 is not supported...frankly I'd use the traditional flow-player if it was HTML5, as I like the looks. I've tested the HTML5 player on Safari(my browser), Chrome, Firefox, my iPhone and an iPad. It seems to be work on all of those platforms.

2 more points:  I am now living in Tokyo having relocated from LA a year ago and my business focus is on Asia. That decision, plus the uptick in mobile device usage has informed my choices for the design of my website.

If you visit my website, you'll see that it's basically a video blog. I'm on YouTube, blip.tv, and vimeo. blip.tv sends my videos to iTunes and it's also available on iTunes in France. Kinda amazes me. Anyway I saw that blueberry has a vid-player. I haven't posted to my site for over a year...ran out of direction and didn't want to be a Public Speaking clone or clown. During that time-off, we re-located, I've got a dynamic nu biz-direction to pursue, and too, video has continued to change. Point is, I've always simply posted to YouTube and then took the embed into my blog. EZ, but maybe that's no longer a good idea.  So,

I've written a short essay to essentially tell you where I want to go. Any comments on any part of this will be appreciated: direction, considerations, how blueberry can help achieve my goals... whatever.
ps/the website page content is being built as we speak...

Thank you angelo,
Tom    tom@tomjdolan.com

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:24:16 am »
So you aren't surprised, Blip.tv is ending their iTunes support by the end of the month, but I assume that's why you're here.

1luckycat

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 08:10:54 pm »
Actually no, that's not why I'm here. I'm here because I was looking for a reliable audio plugin. The fact that blip is or isn't ending iTunes support is inconsequential. I previously discussed w/blip changing my show title and they responded it wasn't possible. I have since mapped out a new strategy that doesn't include blip-4-iTunes. If blubrry is a useful way to connect for my newly extended and re-named video blog into iTunes, I'm happy to investigate but I haven't yet. Still designing content, writing new show notes, and planning biz strategy.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 10:02:48 am »
Okay, just to make this clear:

PowerPress for desktop web browsers offers 6 audio and 3 video player options. 5 of the 6 audio players are flash based, the 6th is native HTML5 with Flash fallback. The video players, 1 is flash based only, one is native HTML5 with flash fallback, and the 3rd is VideoJS, a JavaScript library that interfaces between either HTML5 or Flash to provide a styled video player consistent across all browsers.

PowerPress for mobile (Android, iOS, Nokia, Blackberry, Kindle Fire, WebOS etc...) by default uses the native HTML5 player specific to that device. Flash is not an option for mobile devices. The HTML5 player for mobile devices fallback to a play image with a link to the media, so in the worst case when the media is touched to play on a phone that does not have HTML5, the audio/video is immediately opened by the default player on that phone. In most all cases, the solution is seamless.

I would not use a javascript based styled player for mobile devices. As you do your own testing, you'll find what we found, the performance of the player is inconsistent across all the devices, where-as going native HTML5 for the device, the player functions as intended and flawlessly.

The PowerPress solution for mobile playback is the best solution in my opinion, but I do understand the desire to have the exact same player look and function everywhere. But that functionality comes at a cost in performance. Mobile devices just don't have the memory or processing speeds to deal with that added layer, at least not yet.