Author Topic: Allow Google Analytics  (Read 4052 times)

loatoday

Allow Google Analytics
« on: February 20, 2013, 07:57:36 am »
Your plugin prevents Google Analytics from detecting when my podcasts play. I would appreciate it if you would include coding that would allow us to read this information in our Google Analytics accounts.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Allow Google Analytics
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 12:47:17 pm »
I'm not sure that is even possible (having a media file tracked in Google Analytics).  Even if it is possible, it wouldn't be accurate.  The way media files are served would cause an inflation in the numbers. That would mean that even if it was just one download, it might be counted as 10 or more.  Those numbers wouldn't be useful.

BUT... Good news!   We have a statistics system which will track everywhere your podcast files are played (ie. On the page via players or downloaded via a podcatcher including iTunes).  You can sign up for it free at blubrry.com.  See this video on how to set it up.  http://www.powerpresspodcast.com/2011/03/09/setting-up-podcast-stats-on-blubrry-com-and-powerpress/

Our paid (premium stats) are even better! :)

-Mike

loatoday

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 07:18:48 pm »
Actually, it's quite possible to do. Here's a source that gives details about how to track a podcast in Google Analytics. I can't imagine that their numbers inflation is going to be any worse than your own system's numbers, for the same reason you gave. Your system has to have the same limitation.

Most importantly, however, is that by having the information in Google Analytics, I can track not only how many people listen to podcasts but also where else they go in the site. Do listeners come in and just listen to one podcast and then leave? Do they listen to more than one? Are they repeat visitors, or is it all one session? Where did they come from (referer)?

Fact is, there is no more accurate in-page data tracking system than Google Analytics.

I'm sure you guys have a fine system, but you simply can't match Google's manpower that they can devote to Analytics.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 09:17:28 pm »
Have you tried putting that code (from the link you had in your last post) in the podcast episode box in powerpress?

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 12:43:56 am »
Unfortunately you're comparing apples to oranges.

Google Analytics is web statistics, tracked via Javascript. Yes, you can track when a media file is downloaded, and it may be possible that Google Javascript can capture when Flash based players are loaded, but when a Flash based player downloads the file, Google Analytics will not have access to that download event. It should be able to track HTML5 audio/video downloads however.

Blubrry Media Statistics tracks media downloads specifically, from web page downloads, from Flash plays, and from feed syndication (Google Reader, iTunes, Podcast app on iPhone/iPad, Android podcatchers, etc..). This covers 100% of all media downloads, where-as Google Analytics is limited to only those from the web browser that are accessed directly.

Keep in mind that the typical podcast gets 60-80% of their podcast downloads just from Apple products (iTunes desktop, iPhone/iPad), Google Analytics never captures those downloads syndicated through your RSS feed.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 12:46:09 am »
Also, you can use Yoast's Google Analytics plugin, it will add these _gaq.push() events to the links including the PowerPress download links, but you'll find out it will not capture the flash based plays.