I think I found a bug or limitation in 4.0.5.
If I am hosting a blog at one domain, and attempt to link a URL that exists on another domain, I get the error: Media URL reporting incorrect content type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
This is an inaccurate error, and appears to be a bug/limit of CURL or the way it is being used.
I have our podcasting website at http://nonazon.com/podcast
, but for historical reasons the podcast files themselves are stored at http://davidseah.com/pub/podcasts
. For example: http://davidseah.com/pub/podcasts/CeaserSeahPodcast034.mp3
When I click "Verify", I get the above error. After tracing through the code to see what it was doing, I noticed that the media URL failed and was followed with a second pointing to http://nonazon.com
. What? This URL succeeded, and returned the media type of an HTML page.
After spending several hours testing my PHP configuration to no avail, I tried moving the MP3 file from davidseah.com to nonazon.com, mirroring the directory structure:
The new URL worked, and so I copied over all the MP3 files and prepared for the arduous task of handling incoming links that have to now be redirected. However, I happened to try the davidseah.com URL on another podcast post and IT WORKED. Wha? Did one of my experiments disabling BASEDIR work?
Nope. I tried renaming the nonazon podcast directory to "pcast", and the newly working blog entry (with davidseah.com) failed. Apparently, the media URL is being rewritten to look at the local directory, completely ignoring whatever domain you specify if it is not local.
So the workaround appears to be this:
- You can't have your MP3 files on a different server than your blog.
- If you do, copy them over to the same directory structure on the local server if possible.
So right now I have two sets of the same files. I don't know if this is a cURL thing or a bug in the plugin. In any event, the code on my server is malfunctioning in a misleading way.
MediaTemple (dv) 4, PHP 5.3.5, WP 3.5 Network (Multisite), Blubrry PowerPress 4.0.5
[1/29/2013: updated URLs in post to point to renamed files]