Author Topic: Talkshoe CANCELS podcaster payment program and doesnt notify its users  (Read 9518 times)

Mikethinks

I was astonished,  Talkshoe has had some issue, and like many start ups, it has had downtime and multiple updated to the user interface etc.  So a few days ago when I noticed the button I click to see how much may payment was going to be was missing, I wasn't at all concerned.  I figured they had either moved it, or were fixing it (it had gone wacky more than a few times in the past). 

It was only after a week that I went searching the forums....and BURIED (no sticky, not in the News and Announcements forum) in the forums is a post saying that they have 'temporarily suspended' payments.  And in what has to be the most disingenuous sounding excuse I have ever heard, the CEO claims they didn't send out email notification of the change to the hosts that made talkshoe a success because they 'didn't have time'.   Its 1½-2 weeks later...i still haven't gotten an email. 

Ive always felt that Dave was a very upfront, fair guy.  This latest move could come back to bite him hard.  I understand business decisions, and I wasn't getting rich with talkshoe, but I really do hate feeling like someones trying to change the rules without notification.  I agreed to produce a show on talkshow and allow them to run pre/post roll adds in exchange for free hosting and a little cash.  While they certainly have the 'right' to do this....it feels very underhanded in its execution, and gives me grave concerns over the future viability of talkshoe.

Todd

• Administrator
We are analyzing here their announcement as well. Part of the issue Talkshoe has had was that advertisers were not willing to pay a very high ad rate for ads that were being inserted.. That advertising unless done in a specific way is not real effective..

Todd...

Mikethinks

I do think that the Talkshoe add model has really brought home your point that pre/post roll adds just aren't effective.  The adds feel (since they are) very tacked on, and they really do feel 'less' because the host isn't reading them.  I feel that Talkshoe has a lot of potential, especially if they fix a few of the real detractions that keep me from using it more;

They control the RSS feed in its entirety...this is a big issue for me, they hold your audience in their control.

They screw with your MP3 tag, stripping out the Picture, and Filename

They show pages are very generic and do not let you create a brand as impactful as I would like

tata

I understand business decisions, and I wasn't getting rich with talkshoe, but I really do hate feeling like someones trying to change the rules without notification.

Paul Levinson

Just popping in here to say I had and have the exact same feelings as Mike about Talkshoe's abrupt change of policy last year.