Author Topic: **SOLVED** My Podcast Won't Play on My Mycast Profile  (Read 1426 times)

JonOnline

**SOLVED** My Podcast Won't Play on My Mycast Profile
« on: January 30, 2012, 01:01:04 am »
I am brand new to both Blubrry and Mycast.

I added my podcast to Mycast, only when I go to my profile and try to play the podcast files it doesn't work.  Nothing plays.  The download links don't work.

At my own podcast site and via ITunes (my own feed, not the Blubrry one) everything works just fine.

Here is my profile:  http://www.blubrry.com/jondavisjr

Here is my podcast at my own site:  http://jondavisjr.com/category/podcast/

Here is my podcast feed outsie of blubrry and mycast:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/JonDavisJr/podcast

Anybody have any suggestions as to why Mycast cannot read my podcast audio files and play them?

--UPDATE--  Out of 4 podcast files, the first two are not playing, but the older two are.  I have no idea why.

--UPDATE-- (Feb 12, 2012  12:54am CST)  --  Well, all 4 files are working now.  I don't know what changed but they are all working now.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:34:43 am by JonOnline »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: My Podcast Won't Play on My Mycast Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:08:39 am »
Try a different browser (close the current browser), and only play one file at a time, closing the page when done. If you use the same browser, you can only open so many downloads to your server. Most servers are configured for 1-2 concurrent downloads from the same browser/computer at a time. Cheaper web hosting usually set this to 1. This is so no one browser/computer can take up all the available connections on a web server.

We highly recommend not hosting your media on the same server as your web site. Learn why and more mp3 tips here: http://www.podcastfaq.com/creating-podcast/audio/mp3-mpeg-layer-3-tips/ If you host your media with a media hosting service such as Blubrry Media Hosting, you are not bound to such limits since we use a CDN (content delivery network) rather than 1 physical server.

JonOnline

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 01:15:13 am »
Thanks for the input on hosting files at another site other than the regular webhost.

I will consider that for the future.  As of now I am brand new and it is unlikely to be much of a problem.  :-)

I know that isn't the problem here though, because I can log onto my site and play all 4 of my current podcasts there.  They are also broadcasting fine through iTunes (the feed based directly on my site, not blubrry) and other feed readers.  I've tested.

For some reason only on Blubrry do these specific two files not play.

Any other suggestions?

--UPDATE-- (Feb 12, 2012  12:54am CST)  --  Well, all 4 files are working now.  I don't know what changed but they are all working now.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 01:58:53 am by JonOnline »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 12:58:30 pm »
the media URLs are the same no matter where they are played. So if you tried to play them from blubrry.com and from another web site at the same time, your web server would have only allowed one download of the audio file at a time, causing the appearance that one works and the other does not. Most listeners are not going to try to play your audio file from multiple places at the same time, so this should not be a concern.

JonOnline

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 12:33:38 am »
Thanks for your help Angelo.  I am pretty sure that wasn't the problem because I have never had any problems with my web server doing that.  I could open up three browsers on my computer and download from all of them at once.

It is all moot though, because the problem is solved.

I am trying to figure out if there is some way to mark this post as "solved."

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: **SOLVED** My Podcast Won't Play on My Mycast Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 02:32:23 pm »
More than likely if you did 3 downloads at the same time using Firefox download manager, it was using the same socket connection, which makes it appear as 3 downloads at the same time but Firefox is actually using multi-part downloading to accelerate the downloads breaking them into many small requests.

If your web hosting did allow a file on your server to be downloaded by the same client in two or more concurrent downloads, then you have a huge security problem and will be susceptible to denial of service attacks. DoS is why such limits are in place.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:47:49 pm by angelo »