Author Topic: Best (cheap) Podcast setup?  (Read 5456 times)

relatic

Best (cheap) Podcast setup?
« on: January 05, 2012, 01:31:01 am »

Despite having worked in radio for years, I somehow feel like I know nothing about recording a home podcast. Everything's set up for you at a radio station, so all I've had to do is talk and push buttons, lol.

So I'd like to start a podcast from home. I have a live 6ch mixer, mics, stands (a bunch of band equipment), but I don't know how to record the mics onto different channels in the recording software so I could edit them. Everything I've recorded into my PC literally just went through the 1/8" standard mic port.

What else might I need? (couple hundred bucks is fine but I don't want to spend thousands until I get it going and know what I'm doing :)

Thanks much!

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Best (cheap) Podcast setup?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 04:38:14 pm »
Recording into separate channels is normally unnecessary.  Just set your levels right the first time on your mixer :)

Sounds like you have what you need already.  Radio is much different then podcasting. You have no time limits or spots to hit.  I think you will enjoy it!

Happy Podcasting

-Mike

podcastcoach

Re: Best (cheap) Podcast setup?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 07:17:20 am »
With Radio you're probably wanting to doing everything live (sound effects, bumper music). You can record yourself talking, and the mix in your intro and outro music later (with pin point precision - no more "talkin up" a point). I have a "template" when I open my software that has my intro and outro music already in it. I just open it, insert the file of me talking, and export. If I have more than one topic, I use some royalty free music to separate them (but thats my personal preference). It speeds things up. For software if you're on PC I recommend Sony Music Studio ($44) or if you're on a Mac use Garageband (I'm not a huge Audacity fan). Sounds like you need a mic, so I would go with a Sure SM58 ($99). Right now you're recording directly into your computer. That leaves the door cracked to lose some recordings. It's not something you need when you are just testing the waters, but many people record into a portable recorder like a Zoom H2n $150, or I use a Roland R-05 which is around $199. As a product reseller I can often beat amazon's pricing.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:23:39 am by podcastcoach »