Author Topic: Incomplete RSS feed???  (Read 6386 times)

whalesonline

Incomplete RSS feed???
« on: January 05, 2008, 12:23:29 am »
Hi blubrry

I have recently added my cast to your site, but am having trouble getting a full RSS feed to come through.

By this I mean that I have 29 episodes, but only the first 10 seem to have been drawn through.

I have looked around to see if I can somehow re-ping my feed, but haven't found the right clues.

Can you help me?

http://www.blubrry.com/whalesonline/

Cheers
The Whales-online Podcast

seedpress

Re: Incomplete RSS feed???
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:10:30 pm »
Hello Whales-online Podcast,

I hope someone here can help you soon. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. If I figure out something, I'll be sure to post it here.

I think Todd and the rest of the folks who are running Blubrry are hard-working and sincere. My sense is that they are a bit overloaded now, what with all their projects and expansion.

I hope that eventually the community of Blubrry podcasters will pitch in and help a little more in these forums. Ultimately, that would benefit everyone.

In your case, a bit more attention from the paid staff would seem appropriate: I noticed that the most recent post on your Blubrry page was Aug 30, 07; whereas, your actual home page is hosting files with current dates, and is being published on a weekly basis. Yours is just the kind of podcast that would give credit to the Blubrry network--if your Blubrry page was working properly, i.e. up-to-date.

Unfortunately, in order to download your current podcasts, I had to leave the Blubrry site and go to yours; this is something I've had to do with several other Blubrry "hosted" podcasts. Often it is easier to download from the actual sites than to use Blubrry. As a prospective Blubrry podcaster, this is an ongoing concern with me. One that is reinforced by your current situation.

If you figure this out on your own, please post your solution back here, so others of us can benefit from it.

Keep up the good work on your podcast--we are now downloading and listening to many of them.

Bob Hamilton
Founder of The Dolittle Project
www.dolittleproject.com

whalesonline

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 04:43:51 am »
Thanks for your message Bob

To date no reply for BluBrry, and our podcasts are still being posted. I had thought that possibly the posts that I have put out in the RSS feed since registering with BluBrry might cause the system update.

I have also look around to see if its possible to force the Blubrry system to ping me ... but I cant find any such mechanism.

So ... I am still hoping for a reply. If it comes through on email, rather than here, I will make sure to post it. You are right, that the community can do a lot to help each other.

Again,  thanks for your repsoence, and your kind words  :)

Cheers
Margi Prideaux
www.whales-online.org

Todd

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 11:46:52 pm »
Sorry for the Delay on the Response

Normally Angelo takes care of these Technical Questions and while I saw your ticket come through I thought it had already been responded to.

Looking at your RSS feed you have things stacked Oldest to Newest and I bet this is the problem as you should have it stacked Newest to oldest. I am not sure what you are using to create your RSS feed but when I checked it in Feed Validator the feed came back as not valid.

http://www.feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.whales-online.org%2Fpodcast%2Fpodcast.rss

My suggestion is get the feed to validate first, second get them in the correct format newest RSS entries first to Oldest. Being that you have them reversed Angelo may have to clear your database entries and regenerate your feed.

Todd...

whalesonline

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 11:22:54 pm »
Thanks for your response Todd

I am not sure what to do about the order, becasue the feed software our service provider uses doesn't give us an option to turn it the other way around.

That said, none of the other directories are having trouble loading us, but perhaps this is becasue we have been with them since episode 4 or 5.

Now that I understand the problem I will try and get our service provider t help out and then will contact you again to ask Angelo to clear the database entries for me

Thanks
Margi
www.whales-online.org

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 09:46:49 am »
You will want to get this fixed ASAP.  Though the feed may be getting imported to most directories, it will not be subscribed to correctly in applications such as iTunes. Once someone subscribes to your feed in iTunes, they will automatically download episode 1 but will not automatically download the latest episode since it is at the bottom of the feed.  The only time this is not true is when iTunes is configured to download all episodes, which most people do not have configured.

whalesonline

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 01:43:12 am »
Thanks Angelo. Any tips about what software we should use instead of what our server is supply (which I can't find the name of).

It is interesting that this is happening, because half of the software function is all about uploading to iTunes - which we do faithfully every week.

Also, I don’t have any problems downloading only the latest episode with my aggregator (Juice), which downloads the latest episode each week. Other folks that I know are subscribers are also telling me they get the latest without any problems.

I know that the dates are correct - it is only the order it is being displayed in the RSS feed.

Any further wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Margi

whalesonline

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 07:24:04 pm »
To anyone reading this feed, please take the time to look at the same discussion in the bggy brry forum.

The Blubrry team (+ some additional wise elders from the podcast community) have been really helpful, and there is some excellent advice for anyone else that has the same problem.

Especially read the message from Angelo posted Feb 3rd. It holds the key to the kingdom!

Cheers
Margi