Author Topic: To use feedburner or not user feedburner  (Read 4364 times)

patrick24601

To use feedburner or not user feedburner
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:14:49 am »
I am a new blubrry user. I've put three episodes of my podcast on Amazon S3. The plugin is installed, and I was approved by iTunes yesterday. The feed I submitted is http://allaboutfocus.com/feed which will take you to feedburner. The feed was accepted by apple OK, but there is only one episode in there of three, and my artwork has not not been updated. Admittedly I submitted the feed to iTunes with one episode and generic artwork. I hoping that iTunes refreshes soon. But I am wondering if it is aa feedburner issue. The iTunes link is http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/focus-consulting-training/id413721797 . I've done a ping on it using the link apple gave me a few times since I was accepted yesterday.

So my big question is - in the long run should I still keep running feedburner even though blubrry does not support it? I love my feedburner stats but I'd also like to make sure I get a flawless feed to Apple.

Thanks,
Patrick

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: To use feedburner or not user feedburner
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 02:33:25 pm »
iTunes is still pulling your blog's feed (Not Feedburner). Ping result: https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/pingPodcast?id=413721797

If you would like support from us, please stop using FeedBurner (remove the redirect to FeedBurner). Otherwise, you will need to contact FeedBurner.com for assistance.

patrick24601

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 02:34:55 pm »
Thanks. That link is feedburner if you click on it   http://allaboutfocus.com/feed

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 05:16:19 pm »
Yes, you use Feedburner, please contact Feedburner.com for support.

patrick24601

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 05:36:40 pm »
Thanks.

Is there anybody else that has an opinion on this? Are you still using Blubrry and feedburner? Or did you give up feedburner once you came on board?

robertdempsey

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 08:24:11 pm »
Hi Patrick,

I just checked my settings and I'm not using FeedBurner, but my podcasts still go into the main feed thanks to embedding in the post itself.

Also, be sure that on the iTunes settings it's set to update iTunes when you publish a new episode. If you change your artwork (as I did) do a test ping. It typically takes iTunes a number of hours (to a day) to pick up on it, so it's definitely not instant on their part.

Not sure how you have the feeds themselves set up, but on the feeds tab I have it set to enhance all feeds.

I found out the fun way that WishList Member was killing my feed into iTunes. Be sure you don't have a plugin conflict either.

- Robert Dempsey

patrick24601

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 08:26:55 pm »
Yep all of that is set up thanks. I'll keep checking on iTunes to see when they get the refreshed artwork and the two new episodes.

Wasn't having a problem - I think my post might have implied that. I just want to make sure that keep FB will not get in the way of anything.

Thanks.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 09:05:14 am »
If you are using PowerPress, there's no need to use FeedBurner to add podcasting to your feeds. On the opposite token, you have more control of your iTunes attributes using PowerPress than you would ever have letting FeedBurner predict what you want in those iTunes attrubutes.

About 25-50% of our tech support questions on feeds lead to problems with FeedBurner. Because we do not have any control of FeedBurner, we do not provide support for it.

I do not recommend using FeedBurner due to its complexity to implement correctly unless you have fundamental web development experience (e.g. understand the difference between a 301 and a 302 redirect and how to setup on your web server).