Author Topic: best way to capture phone interviews...  (Read 14361 times)

nickthedrummer

best way to capture phone interviews...
« on: January 18, 2011, 08:39:14 pm »
In my current setup I am just recording to my laptop, from my large diaphragm AKG mic, through a vocal compressor, through mixer, to laptop..

my question is, whats the best way to record off a land line when doing interviews over the phone, the way I have been doing it is just putting the caller on speaker phone, and placing the phone on a mic stand near the mic... it doesnt sound too bad, but I would like to be able to interview skype users, and such, but I dont know how to set it up so the caller can hear me through my mic, and hear them through my headphones.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: best way to capture phone interviews...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:56:21 pm »
The best way I have found is to get a Skype out account (so you can call phones from skype)  Then on a second computer (a laptop or whatever) install skype and hook that into a channel on your mixer.  Then do a Mix - Minus for the audio coming from the mixer back to the skype computer.  That way, the caller hears everything going though your mixer except their own audio.

For more info on the mix-minus, i suggest this page: http://www.thepodcaststudio.com/2008/01/mystery-of-mix-minus/ or you can google it and find out more about it.

Hope this helps!

-Mike

PumiceT

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 12:33:22 am »
Not cheap, but I have one of these that I've used with success:
http://www.jkaudio.com/that-1.htm

~$130

Connects in place of the handset from a standard phone.

lhastings

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 08:21:44 am »
I think that it would be a good idea to take the call through your skye account so you take it in through the computer.

That way, you have a lot of power right at your fingertips.  You have to take not though that you should be getting an affirmation from the other end or you could be charged with a case.

You can just use a mixer to address that problem.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 01:44:23 pm »
Use Skype and the freeware MP3 Skype Recorder: http://voipcallrecording.com

nickthedrummer

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 07:44:06 pm »
thought I would update on this.  I have been using skype, and the "two computer" setup where I run the audio out from the skype computer into my studio computer.  it works well the only drawback being the slight lag in the connection if you have a bog in your internet speed, than and if you have multipul people on the call, they often talk over each other because they cant hear everyone when they speak, other than that it works pretty well.. wouldn't be good for a live show, but works for podcasting when we can edit out those lags.

psnation

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 02:45:00 pm »
I record on a Mac, so I use Skype with our recording software, Ubercaster. It has an audiochat recorder built-in, and allows you to setup a soundboard for live recorded audio playback, which we use primarily for voicemail discussions.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 10:07:03 am »
For the 2 computer setup, look up (on Google) "mix Minus" setup.  If your mixer has aux channels you will be able to do this and the person on skype will hear everything except themselves from your mixer.

-Mike

timreid

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 06:56:53 am »
I call landlines from Skype and use Skype Call Recorder - works a treat.

Here's an example of a recent interview I did doing this -> http://smallbusinessbigmarketing.com/marketing-podcast-what-is-guerrilla-marketing/

Cheers ... Timbo.