Author Topic: Broke my wordpress when I uploaded rss.jpg  (Read 7702 times)

stanwilliams

Broke my wordpress when I uploaded rss.jpg
« on: January 31, 2010, 06:31:58 pm »
Hello,
I was in the process of creating a podcast, everything has been  and was  working fine, Anyway  I was in PowerPress and clicked to upload image , (rss.jpg)  and clicked save at bottom of page and it went to this :

406 Not Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource /wp-admin/ could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.14 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at stanwilliamsmusic.com Port 80

Now wp-admin does Not work, I am still logged in but when I click on  admin or enter url by hand always goes to this 406 page.
Anyone heard of this before?

The problem Is I have recently added a Lot of content to my site, and don't really want to lose it all.  And like a dummy my backups are like  2 weeks ago before site update I was going to create backups after I finished podcast haha..  or I would just start with clean install of wordpress.

I copied new admin.php from other installations that I have and some other associated files ,but to no avail, the site is still up but No admin for it lol,
and fantastico backups are missing,  for some weird  reason.

http://stanwilliamsmusic.com
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:03:42 pm by stanwilliams »

stanwilliams

Re: Broke my wordpress when I uploaded rss.jpg
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 06:46:10 pm »
Update:
I just tried another browser , for some reason I was using Chrome when the error occurred, I went to the site in Firefox , logged in and am able to access Wordpress admin !  so I even tried with IE8 and am able to get into admin. so perhaps it was  some  bug with Google chrome rather than power press?
I am still there in Chrome and STILL  get the 406 page when I click on site admin.  but am in admin with Firefox and IE, works normally.
No admin strange...

In short the problem occurred when I was in powerpress and went to upload an image  (rss.jpg)  and clicked save and it went to the 406 error page, (in previous post)

I am not asking for help, just posting a possible bug.

I think I will just  write me an xml file for now till I get this figured out, ,use mp3 player I made with flash 8 or something, was just wanting to take the easy way with powerpress plugin.

But admin is still working with Firefox but Not Google Chrome,
I haven't tried opera, Seamonkey or any other browsers I have. as I assume it will work with them too.
Thanks,
SW
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:01:24 pm by stanwilliams »

stanwilliams

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 07:30:30 pm »
I Am able to access admin area again using Google Chrome now that I logged out and back in again (cleared cache cookies etc).
Problem seems to have gone away, But I tried for like an hour to get into admin again, before I thought of using another browser to see.
I think I will continue setting up Powerpress  plugin and see what happens.
I now am thinking it was  a weird bug in chrome or something...

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 05:38:02 pm »
The error sounded like an administrator was upgrading your version of WordPress at the same time you were trying to use it. I would contact your ISP and see if they were updating things or had the site temporarily down for maintenance.

matt1027

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 12:59:47 pm »
The same thing has been happening to me when I try to save the changes on the Feeds page.  I didn't try to upload an image I just put in the URL for the RSS image, previewed it and then hit save.

It happened with Opera web browser and Firefox. After it happened I could not even get back into the WordPress Admin.  After I cleared cache on Firefox I could get back in but as soon as I tried to save the RSS image it happened again.

I have found lots of info on Google about the Not Acceptable 406 error with WordPress being due to web hosts that are using ModSecurity with Apache web server.  I tried a lot of fixes they recommended by adding rules to the .htaccess file but none of them worked for me.

One web site said that ModSecurity 2 could not be overridden by an .htaccess rule. I'm getting ready to call my web host and see if they can manually adjust or disable ModSecurity or give some kind of advice. 

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:54:16 pm »
Please have your web hosting send me a log of the error so we know what field in PowerPress we can change/rename to prevent the problem in the future. cio [at] rawvoice.com.

matt1027

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 02:12:59 pm »
I'm corresponding with the web host. They told me to duplicate the error and they would check the logs to find it.

I did that and gave them the times and they said they couldn't find anything.

I sent them a copy of the error message and they said it was a mod_security related error and suggested that they could disable mod_security for my account.

I told them that you wanted to fix the error and asked them if they had any ideas how to find out what is causing it.

I'll let you know what I find out.

matt1027

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 02:39:00 pm »
Here is the latest response:

Unfortunately, I cannot see anything in our mod_security logs that is associate with your account. It would be easiest if we just disabled mod_security. Normally, if you keep all of your software up to date, such as WordPress, disabling mod_security would not affect security at any significant level.

Any thoughts on that?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 03:19:45 pm »
Have them disable mod_security. Most folks don't use it with WordPress.

Glark

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 05:48:47 pm »
This same thing happened to me except instead of uploading a new RSS graphic I was just updating the URL of it. Now the feed URL doesn't resolve and I can't login into wp-admin unless I kill all cookies but the fix is only temporary.

What's the fix?

Glark

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 05:57:06 pm »
Follow up: whatever it is that's mucking this up it is happening when you update the feeds section of the plugin admin, regardless of what you are updating on that page.

The host said "we are not currently seeing any indication that modsec has anything to do with the problem you are having."
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 07:37:19 pm by Glark »

Todd

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 10:37:42 pm »
Can you explain how you were updating your feed what changes you were making. Are you sure that the syntax to the path is correct? If it is working one second and quits working when you made a change I would revert to what it was before and make sure it works as it was.

Glark

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 01:07:06 am »
I was changing the name of the RSS graphic under 'feeds' in the PP admin in WP, that's it. The feed validates fine.

I have two sites with the same behaviour, something about going to the feeds pref area is messing up cookie/permissions/whatever and spitting out 404 for wp-admin and 406s sometimes as well.

I nuked the entire site and did a fresh install with same results.

Disabling the PP plugin cures the issue.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:14:15 am by Glark »

Glark

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 02:00:02 am »
I have no idea if this will help or not but I started killing the cookies one-by-one to see which one 'freed up' the wp-admin and this was it:

Name: ui-tabs-3
Path: /wp-admin
Contents: 0

matt1027

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 09:08:04 am »
My host disabled mod_security and everything is working fine now.

The problem occurred for me when I was specifying the RSS2 image.  It would preview fine but when I tried to save the changes it returned the error message.

It would be nice to have mod_security on though.  I'm doing a complete site reinstall because of a previous hack issue and I'm ultra security conscious now. Maybe a little too much. :-)