Blubrry Podcasting Community Forum

Hey Blubrry => Help Me Out => Topic started by: Al Morello on October 30, 2017, 02:09:55 am

Title: Episode picture icon
Post by: Al Morello on October 30, 2017, 02:09:55 am
A couple questions on episode pictures:

1. I use Podcast Addict app for android. The picture for my first episode is correct, but the picture for the second episode is an older of the logo. How did this happen? Where does Podcast addict get this from? I assumed that if I didn't specify a picture, it would just use my iTunes pic (1400x1400). Where is each episode picture specified?

2. I notice on some podcasts like The Vanished (using Podcast Addict again) that one icon appears when you download the episode (a picture of the victim) but after you have listened to it, the icon changes to the icon for the show (iTunes 1400x1400). Why? Is this the podcast hosting platform (art19)?

Title: Re: Episode picture icon
Post by: Shawn Thorpe on November 01, 2017, 01:36:05 pm
I'm not personally familiar with Podcast Addict. But, episode-level artwork is still kinda tricky, as no standard has yet been adopted (even by Apple) for how episode-level artwork should be handled.

Best practice would be to have episode-level artwork in your podcast RSS feed (PowerPress can do this) and ALSO embed the artwork in to the media file tags for the media file. Some apps will take it form the feed, while others will take it from the media file.

As far as understanding what Podcast Addict is doing, the best thing to do would be to contact their support and see if they can clarify what's happening.
Post by: Al Morello on November 02, 2017, 12:50:23 am
Thanks for the response.

"Best practice would be to have episode-level artwork in your podcast RSS feed (PowerPress can do this) and ALSO embed the artwork in to the media file tags for the media file. "

Where can I look up how to do these two things? I am using powerpress with blubrry hosting.
Post by: Shawn Thorpe on November 02, 2017, 12:18:30 pm
To do this with PowerPress:
1.) Log into your WordPress site
2.) Go to PowerPress >> Settings, Advanced Mode >> Episodes
3.) Check the box next to iTunes Episode Image Field and save the changes
4.) Now, you'll have a field within the Podcast Episode box of your posts called iTunes Image, just copy/paste the URL to that episode's image from wherever you uploaded it to, and the image will be added to your podcast RSS feed

As far as embedding the artwork image in your episodes' ID3 tags, that depends on how you're handling the tags. How are you doing that now?
Post by: Al Morello on November 03, 2017, 12:55:28 pm
Thanks again Shawn. I am currently just using ID3 settings in Powerpress to embed the ID3 tags. I didn't see a place to add the pic before, but maybe I will now with the settings your suggested.

What would be an ideal size for the image size? Would it be safe to use the 1400x1400 for iTunes? I'd probably just want to use the same episode pic for all episodes.
Post by: Shawn Thorpe on November 04, 2017, 11:04:39 am
The 1400px square image is probably OK unless the file size is very large. The embedded image can be smaller than the artwork spec recommended for the podcast feed. Just try and keep the file size under 1MB or it may cause some issues with different apps/platforms reading your file's header information.
Post by: Al Morello on November 05, 2017, 08:09:02 pm
Thanks Shawn.