Blubrry Podcasting Community Forum

Hey Blubrry => Blubrry PowerPress WordPress Plugin => I Need Help! => Topic started by: elembemedia on January 28, 2015, 02:58:58 pm

Title: PowerPress subscribe page not working for categories
Post by: elembemedia on January 28, 2015, 02:58:58 pm
I have been unable to get the subscribe page to function for my category podcasts. I have three seperate podcasts that i want to each have their own subscribe page. I go into the main feed to have it generate the page, I delete the page ID from the main feed. Go into my category feeds and add the page ID under media. I then go to the subscribe page itself and edit the page and add the [powerpress_subscribe category="am-show"] but nothing changes on the page. I have followed everything from the page http://create.blubrry.com/resources/powerpress/advanced-tools-and-options/powerpress-subscribe-shortcode/ with no luck. Any ideas? My site is http://elembemedia.com
Title: Re: PowerPress subscribe page not working for categories
Post by: angelo on January 28, 2015, 04:47:46 pm
When you edit your category under PowerPress > Category podcasting, under the Appearance tab, what is the shortcode value PowerPress gives you?
Post by: elembemedia on January 29, 2015, 02:20:34 am
[powerpress_subscribe category="455"]
Post by: angelo on January 29, 2015, 05:27:21 am
Does that work when you use that in a page?
Post by: elembemedia on January 29, 2015, 01:55:58 pm
No, it always looks at my main feed, which right now has nothing in it. There's one of the pages I setup and you notice that its all for the default page.

http://elembemedia.com/subscribe-to-thunderbums/

Ive also noticed that when I have the subscribe links on, which show up under my media player, they all link to the main feed as well so I'm wondering if those issues are connected.
Post by: angelo on January 29, 2015, 03:14:30 pm
I wonder, are your podcast episodes going into "Posts" or are they going into a custom post type?
Post by: elembemedia on January 29, 2015, 07:34:08 pm
The theme I use does have custom post types but I have always used the "standard" setting. Is there a way for me to check if its categorizing them properly? I have never had any feed issues if that helps at all.
Post by: angelo on January 30, 2015, 01:00:24 am
What is the URL to one of these category feeds?

It is possible that if the posts are in a custom post type (not the regular posts) that could explain the disconnect. I know we added code years ago to handle that for category feeds, but I also know that we did not implement the subscribe features for custom post types yet due to the complexity.

BTW you can implement the subscribe widget by specifying the iTunes Subscribe URL and the rss feed in the shortcode. Details here:
Post by: elembemedia on January 30, 2015, 01:10:36 am
Here's one of the category feeds.

http://elembemedia.com/category/esoplaysessions/

Also, I think the last part of your previous comment got cut off. Thanks so much for the help!
Post by: angelo on January 30, 2015, 01:18:11 am
Sorry I have crossed two different conversations on here.

This may be a bug, I will look further into it tomorrow.

Post by: angelo on January 30, 2015, 01:19:32 am
Oh, this is the link I forgot to include: http://create.blubrry.com/resources/powerpress/advanced-tools-and-options/powerpress-subscribe-shortcode/

e.g.

Code: [Select]
[powerpress_subscribe
   title="Geek News Central"
   image_url="http://geeknewscentral.com/GNCLogo3_1_1400x1400Audiot-262.jpg"
   feed_url="http://geeknewscentral.com/index.xml"
   itunes_url="https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/geek-news-central-audio/id73331167"]
Post by: elembemedia on January 31, 2015, 02:27:44 pm
Even that shortcode isn't working for me. I also tested with no plugins except blurry running and changed my theme to the 2015 built in Wordpress one and got the same issue. I also tried the code on a different site and got the same issue. Any ideas what could be causing it?
Post by: angelo on February 02, 2015, 09:01:24 am
I've confirmed this is a bug.

If you put the shortcode in a post that also has the category set, then it works, but put it in a page that does not have the category set and you have the issue you're observing.

I am working on it now.
Post by: angelo on February 02, 2015, 10:20:48 am
Fix ready for testing. Do you want the latest beta version to test it out? This and 1 other bug fix is all that's in the beta so far, if you are concerned about testing the beta it shouldn't be buggy except for this now working.

Another plus, the changes I made also fix the bug where the subscribe links below the player were not showing the category subscribe settings (feed, iTunes, subscribe page). This also is now fixed, but only if you select 1 category. If you select 2 or more then the subscribe links will be for the main feed.
Post by: elembemedia on February 02, 2015, 02:13:35 pm
I will gladly test the latest beta. Just tell me where to download it from.
Post by: angelo on February 02, 2015, 02:50:09 pm
Here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/powerpress/developers/ you want the "development version".
Post by: elembemedia on February 02, 2015, 03:37:11 pm
It fixed the subscribe to pages perfect. Thanks so much for that.

There still is a weird bug for the subscribe options below the player. When viewing just the post they all point to the correct feeds. But when you are viewing all posts on the main page they still look at the main feed.

Thanks again for the awesome help!
Post by: angelo on February 02, 2015, 03:45:02 pm
That is correct behavior actually, because on a main page you do not know which category someone is viewing, if any category. This is where the option to set a specific category as default is still a better solution down the road.
Post by: elembemedia on February 03, 2015, 01:17:42 am
Interesting.  For whats its worth, if there was anyway to have it look at the post category and show links because of that it would be cool. I may be a rare case in the way I have my homepage layout. I have three podcasts and two other categories which aren't podcasts and all of them show on the main "blog" page. Have any suggestions on how to lay that out so the links point properly? Thanks again so much!!!
Post by: angelo on February 03, 2015, 01:23:21 am
The three podcasts are using category podcasting right?
Post by: elembemedia on February 03, 2015, 05:46:30 pm
Right, three different podcasts, three different categories.
Post by: angelo on February 11, 2015, 04:09:35 pm
What we're thinking of proposing is this:

In PowerPress golobal settings, there would be an option to "Use Category Podcasting Exclusively".

This would:

The primary podcast category would be what is used if 2 or more categories were selected for an episode for example. If you cross categories we would not know which one should be used for the podcast show/program.

As a negative result, PowerPress would no longer register the podcast only feed (example.com/feed/podcast/) and the mapping of the example.com/podcats/ page would no longer be handled by PowerPress. For those category podcasters who rely on PowerPress allowing for a root category page, this will be a negative. WordPress by default puts category landing pages in example.com/category/category-slug/ (category-slug being the web friendly name of your category) If you want a category to have a root level landing page URL, you will need to use some other sort of plugin or logic in your theme as this is not default WordPress behavior and looking back we should have never offered it as an option in PowerPress as it's now made a lot of category podcasting users assume this is supposed to be available or happen. This is a bad practice anyway because it can harm your SEO if the same age is available in two different URLs (e.g. example.com/category-slug/ and example.com/category/category-slug/)

If you do not rely on your category landing page being at the root of your site, then the proposed changes will not negatively effect you.

elembemedia, I think the proposed solution would solve your problem having 3 categories, so as long as you never cross categorize.
Post by: angelo on February 11, 2015, 04:10:48 pm
As this matures we may also be able to show an alert box if 2 or more categories are selected when an episode is set, assuming the check is possible.
Post by: DavidN on February 12, 2015, 12:44:22 am
Hey

Thank you for your prompt response. It does indeed appear to be the same problem and the fix you are suggesting in the other post would be exactly what I am looking for to be able to set a specific category for the subscribe links. So the iTunes subscribe link will read from the category iTunes subscribe URL that it's posted in as apposed to the main iTunes subscribe URL which is currently does.

Is there a time scale on when this will be ready?

Kind regards

David
Post by: creativitymatters on February 12, 2015, 11:41:55 am
This would seem to fix my issues also as I will be exclusively using category podcasting!
Post by: angelo on February 13, 2015, 03:01:06 pm
Great!

Here is the tentative plan:

Release PowerPress 6.0.2 over this weekend (has a few minor bugs and changes in it including the one previously discussed in this thread). The following week we will start working on 6.1. As soon as we have a beta I'll come back to this thread and let you know.

Usually major releases beta's can take 2-8 weeks before they are released, minor versions like 6.0 to 6.1 usually only take 1-2 weeks before they are released. Essentially major features are in major increments, minor changes like this are in sub versions.
Post by: paulaflalo on February 15, 2015, 09:33:28 pm
This is interesting, and I'll test out the developer version. But what if we use category podcasting (individually, never a cross over with other categories), but also use the main feed?

Thanks!
Post by: elembemedia on February 20, 2015, 02:02:23 pm
Sorry I haven't responded for awhile but that is exactly what I would want!!! I only use the category podcasts. I will gladly test out the beta and report my results back here!! Can't wait!
Post by: angelo on February 27, 2015, 04:17:06 pm
I am working on a release of PowerPress this weekend, 6.0.2. Following the release I will be merging code that I wrote to deal with the category situation discussed in this thread. As early as mid next week I should have a beta version of 6.1 ready that addresses the category problems discussed.
Post by: angelo on March 19, 2015, 06:59:20 pm
If you have not guessed, there has been a delay with PowerPress 6.0.2. We are in final testing of this minor release now, it may be released as early as tomorrow. Once it is released, expect this feature to be available in beta within 1-2 weeks following.
Post by: angelo on March 29, 2015, 05:10:53 pm
It's been a week, is 6.0.2 working for everyone?
Post by: elembemedia on March 30, 2015, 03:16:40 pm
So far everything is working perfect for me. Cant wait for the newest build with the subscribe link options as well. Thanks again!
Post by: paulaflalo on May 11, 2015, 07:40:26 pm
I use Category Podcasting, and I've been able to get the Subscribe options to use the right feeds, but for some reason not on the homepage. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

This is where it won't show the individual feeds: http://www.nomoreradio.com/

On our show pages, it works perfectly fine: http://www.nomoreradio.com/show/edgeofthecity/

Thanks!
Post by: angelo on May 11, 2015, 07:49:08 pm
Just keep an eye on this thread, when we get the logic working discussed in this thread we'll let you know so you can beta test.
Post by: elembemedia on October 28, 2015, 07:54:16 pm
Just wanted to check back with this and see how things are going?
Post by: angelo on October 29, 2015, 11:03:04 am
Delayed unfortunately. There are three new major features we're about to push out in a version 6.1 in the coming days.

Let me know if you would like to be on the beta program for PowerPress 7.0, email cio [at] rawvoice dot com.
Post by: angelo on April 23, 2016, 04:29:28 pm
Everyone,

These changes have taken a long time, I apologize. With that, I have great news! Today I have completed new Category Podcasting options that solve the problems discussed in this thread.

Two new options:
Strict Category Podcasting
You can now specify which category your episode should be associated with in the episode entry box. This allows you to select as many categories as you need, only the episode selected category will be used for podcast measurement and subscription tools.

Podcast Only Category Feeds
A podcast only feed is provided in addition to the regular category feed. This allows you to mix blog posts in your category while providing a podcast only feed that only includes the episodes (optimal for iTunes).

Please contact me at cio [at] blubrry dot com if you would like a preview of this release.
Post by: paulaflalo on June 08, 2016, 12:07:36 pm
Hi there,

I'm confused how this has fixed my problem. On our homepage, the Subscribe links below each post still point to the main site's feed, not the feed to the category it is part of.

Is there a fix for this yet? If not, is there a way to remove these links?

Thank you!
Post by: angelo on June 08, 2016, 03:34:49 pm
Did you enable strict category podcasting, then go into edit your latest podcast episode and selected the specific category within the podcast episode box, then click update (to save this change)?
Post by: paulaflalo on June 09, 2016, 06:54:01 pm
Oh great! That worked. Thank you! But, do I have to go back to each episode and do that manually?
Post by: angelo on June 10, 2016, 08:41:56 am
At the moment yes, but I am looking at a way to bulk update past episodes.

With a bulk update option, would you be ok with a simple "if it has this category make it the strict podcast category' option, or would you want to see a full list of every blog post and decide one by one which gets the strict category?