Author Topic: The Reality Of Podcast Advertising  (Read 9639 times)

rawvoicemarketing

The Reality Of Podcast Advertising
« on: April 13, 2007, 05:57:02 pm »
I'm not sure if there's a hotter topic to touch on in podcasting then advertising. We've gotten a number of emails from podcasters over the past few months with tones ranging from innocent newbie questions to strong demands for higher CPM rates.

I wanted to start this thread to make some common sense statements on podcast advertising and provide a place for discussion on the topic.

• In spite of what some mainstream outlets are saying, the market for podcast advertising continues to grow. We've seen a number of reports out there that point to the stagnation of the flow of money into podcasting. Here on Blubrry we've launched our biggest deals over the last few months. So we're seeing much more interest along with actual revenue growth in 2007.
  • The dollars for most podcasters are small, but they're much more than any blogger was making two years into the medium. Dave Winer started blogging in 1997. How much money were bloggers making in 1999? Podcasters are earning a lot more now than bloggers were then.
  • Large companies are approaching podcast advertising tentatively. Of course they are. Companies with large ad budgets have a lot to lose. It's very easy for an ad exec to go to TV, radio or mainstream web outlets with a campaign. Those are established channels that are considered low risk. Podcasting on the other hand is a higher risk investment. Even still, dollars are flowing into the space. The early days (and it is still the early days of podcasting) of all media movements see tentative investment by the major players.
  • Podcasters have the power to influence sponsors at all levels. Every time a sponsor has a good experience (and by 'good experience' I mean one that produces results) they will be more confident about increasing their investment and they will probably tell others. So podcasters who have sponsors go a long way to improving the bottom line of the whole industry by working hard to get positive results for their sponsors.
  • Those who take the time to build a loyal audience and work on selling will be the most successful podcasters financially. How much influence do you have over your audience? Your sponsors will know when you run a campaign. Campaigns that result in low return for the advertiser are usually a factor of a combination of low audience influence and low sales effort. If you have influence over your audience and work on selling for your sponsors then you'll probably have good results.
  • Building a substantial, highly influenced audience base takes time and effort. We're in a very 'now' society. Word spreads fast and people can gain a modicum of fame relatively quickly if all the right forces are in play. This leads us to thinking that this is what success is all about. The fact is that the podcasters earning the most money via podcast sponsorships are the ones who have continually produced shows on a regular basis for two years or more. Shows like Rocketboom, Keith and the Girl and Geek News Central have been incredibly consistent over the last couple of years. They have hundreds of episodes and many thousands of loyal audience members. They've worked very hard to get there. You've worked hard too, but it may take more time and effort to pay off the way you want it to.

Our goals here are to help build a community of passionate podcasters while providing real opportunities to earn some money from your podcasts. We don't promise the world but we do hold ourselves to a high standard. You can help us to land bigger deals by creating great value for the current sponsors who've been intrepid enough to make an early investment in this new medium. What do you think? 

Yuzzy

Re: The Reality Of Podcast Advertising
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 05:32:32 pm »
Amen...

cianmm

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 09:44:30 am »
I think that it is true that it takes time to build a podcast. I have been working on mine for just over a year, (www.viewfromthequad.com DING!) and only now, when I started to get noticed by the big boys, (thanks Scott Sigler, Jc Hutchins, and of course, Tee Morris) i am now pulling around 1000 downloads a month. I am getting an average of 5 new subscribers per day.
I have not yet got the chance to dive into any advertising deals, as I did not qualify for the April deals, and I have some SERIOUS issues with Godaddy hosting services. Also, being 15 and living in Ireland makes things a little more... interesting when signing long sheets of paper involving tax. (Could somebody from the financial section of Blubrry please let me know how that works please?)

rawvoicemarketing

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 10:50:14 am »
Thanks for being a part of the community Cian. Jeevan Padiyar is our Chief Financial Officer. He usually answers the queries on taxes and the like. Unfortunately he may not have much insight into the tax system in Ireland.

lunaticradio

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 03:56:16 pm »
We just ended a deal with a large player in advertising. They deal with primarily terrestrial radio stations but HAD a division for podcasting. After a conversation with them, it appears they are closing up shop on the podcasting community... losing money.

It was great having that opportunity, but we feel getting show out there and heard is the bigger goal right now. The problem is the best way of getting heard is through popular top ten sites or front pages. IMO the overwhelming majority of listeners dont have the time or interest in sifting through hours of ocntent and thousands of shows. They love the ideas and thoughts with podcasting but the trial and error of earching is like a job. So the listener trusts the sites and top ten lists that they are providing the cream of the crop up front and center so many good quality shows lose out. We've seen it for years, and actually, our biggest listenership comes from iTunes and that only because we are on the featured list.

popularity leads to money, money leads growth, growth leads to populairty and so on.

We have been doing this since 2001 so we have seen shows, sites, ideas and of course money come and go so we are not asking for the world either, just an opportunity.

Thanks
Adam
lunaticradio.com 

sureideas

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 09:23:00 pm »
A podcast is an audio file that is created under mp3 format that is then uploaded on a supported RSS .Podcast advertising is different than traditional media. Listeners turn to podcast because they can freely choose their content and consume it at their own time and place. They also try to avoid straight to the face ads, which turn them off.why podcasting became a massive hit ?

goodwill221

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 09:43:34 pm »
Many people don’t want to put in the effort required to do what is necessary to establish their shows as brands and communities with engaged audiences. Most podcasters are just doing a show. That’s fine. I fit into that category myself. But if you want to earn significant money from podcasting then you need to think bigger, put in more effort and invest more money. And even then it might not work out. There are no guarantees in business.

bradcapo1

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 10:13:46 pm »
Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la rise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prêt automobile donne.