Author Topic: Seperate Video/Audio Settings  (Read 7997 times)

Saberj

Seperate Video/Audio Settings
« on: August 29, 2009, 03:05:40 am »
I have a website that posts several podcasts on the same site. In addition to our normal podcasts, we also have a videocast. Unfortunately, this means that we have to turn off the in-post player, because the video player breaks our theme. On our main page, we have two columns that lists our posts. One for podcasts/videocasts, and one for news and content related to our subject. Each column is about 315 pixels wide. So, I had to lower the width of the player to fit that space. Unfortunately, the width of the video player remains the same. Or specifically, the placeholder image's width remains the same. Once you open the player itself, the video itself ends up being smaller.

So as a result, we had to turn all of our players off. This isn't an ideal situation, because I love the audio player, and really want to keep it on the page. So as such, I have two ideas:

1> The best option would be to make the "Display Media Player" setting in the "Appearance" tab of Powerpress' settings specific to Audio and/or Video. This way, I can tell it to keep the audio player in the post and new window, while making sure the video player is only in a new window.

2> If that's not possible for whatever reason, then at least make it to where the image for the video player resizes as well. If you need to resize the player for theme reasons, then the image makes that impossible.

The reason I prefer option #1, is because I'd prefer to cut out the video player altogether. It takes up too much vertical space for me to want to keep it. But that's not the big issue. I can technically use all the vertical space I want. It's the horizontal space usage that breaks things.

Great plugin. I've just started using it to replace podpress which has now completely broken many aspects of my website. Powerpress allows me to keep many of the attractive features with minimal changes. So kudos to that. If you want to take a look at my site, it's at http://www.geekshow.us ... You can see how we blend audio and video podcasts together in the left column. You can also see how there is limited space. Although for the time being, I've turned off the players since it broke the theme, so you can't see how that looks (Although, it should give you a good idea).

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Seperate Video/Audio Settings
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 02:03:05 pm »
If you are keeping your audio and video in separate custom podcast feeds (recommended), then you may like the new feature that will be included in the next update of PowerPress that allows you do disable the player on a per Custom Podcast Feed basis.

Saberj

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 04:19:54 am »
That sounds like it would do wonders for me. I assume that this patch will be whatever is after 0.9.7, correct? Hopefully I'll be able to find that setting easily when it comes along.

Any chance we'll see individual feed settings for iTunes pinging down the road? That would be handy as well.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 10:55:36 am »
You can ping on individual category/custom podcast feeds already. Please check the settings and see the option. It also logs the status of your last iTunes ping in the feed settings page.

Saberj

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 11:56:23 am »
The only place I see to enter an iTunes URL for pinging is Powerpress > Basic Settings > iTunes URL.

I don't see anywhere to add in the different individual URLs for each category.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 05:40:09 pm »
If you are category podcasting, please switch to Advanced mode of Blubrry PowerPress and then go to PowerPress > Category Feeds. You can select each category that you're podcasting from and extend it by adding special/unique attributes. You can even completely change the title of the category and description of the category feed to meet your podcasts needs. In this sscreen is where you can enter a custom iTunes URL for the corresponding category feed.

Saberj

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 01:47:19 pm »
I've been in advance. The only thing I see that says anything about iTunes feeds says "iTunes New Feed URL". I would assume that would be the setting you would use if you are going to issue an iTunes feed redirect. As in, you want to set the iTunes setting that will change your feed URL. It even issues a warning that says that if you set it wrong, you will lose subscribers.

Other than that, I see nothing that mentions iTunes and URLs. I'm talking about the setting where you enter your iTunes URL to allow it to be pinged when you update your podcast. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 04:16:51 pm »
I believe you are not navigating where I'm instructing. It sounds like you are navigating to PowerPress > Feed Settings. Please try PowerPress > Category Feeds.

Here is a screen shot of what the edit feed settings page looks like when you are editing a specific category feed. See the field marked iTunes URL. PowePress uses this URL to obtain your iTunes FEEDID and performs an "iTunes ping" with it. If you don't have a iTunes subscription link, you can't ping iTunes.

Here is a link to documentation about Category Casting in Blubrry PowerPress.

Saberj

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 11:43:15 am »
Yeah....that's not there. Is there a setting to turn that on that I may be overlooking? Plugin version 0.9.8

Saberj

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 12:34:48 pm »
And nevermind, I'm a doofus. Although, it's far from intuitive, I must say. The "Ping iTunes" setting turns on that option for the categories. The only problem is that it doesn't tell you that. And since the option to ping iTunes is always on in the "Basic Settings", I could see that the option did anything except stop that from pinging. Thanks!

Saberj

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 03:04:08 am »
If you are keeping your audio and video in separate custom podcast feeds (recommended), then you may like the new feature that will be included in the next update of PowerPress that allows you do disable the player on a per Custom Podcast Feed basis.

Could I get a clarification on "the next update"? I've had like 2 or 3 updates since this post, and I haven't seen this option. Am I missing something, or are you talking about version 1.0?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 09:12:02 am »
In the General Settings page of Blubrry PowerPress, for the 'Podcast Entry Box' setting, select 'Custom'. When you select 'Custom', an array of new options will appear. Make sure there is a check in the box for the 'No Player Option', as this is the feature you are looking for. Then click 'Save Changes'.

Saberj

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 11:59:54 pm »
Alright, so that enables the option to turn it off on a per-episode basis. But I don't see an option for a per-feed basis. Am I missing a setting there as well? Thanks for the help.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 08:50:37 am »
Oh, I miss-understood.

If you created custom podcast feeds (not category podcast feeds), you can disable the player by going to PowerPress > Appearance page, the 3rd setting from the top labeled "Disable Player for", place a check next to the feed that you do not want players displayed.

Saberj

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 05:24:31 pm »
So, back to the original question. Any chance we can get something like that for category podcasting? Category and Custom feeds seem to be only different in how they are created. So I'm not sure why the option that is already there excludes category feeds.

Thanks for the help, angelo.