Author Topic: Whole blog post showing up in iTunes  (Read 336 times)

Kirstin Sarfde

• Rookie
Whole blog post showing up in iTunes
« on: August 29, 2018, 03:55:30 pm »
My episodes were showing up just fine in iTunes but then I looked today and what I wrote in my blog post on my Wordpress site, which isn't supposed to show up on iTunes at all, is now showing up in the Episode Notes on the podcast app. What I wrote in "iTunes Summary" when creating my post is showing up where the iTunes Subtitle should be. I don't understand why it was fine last week but now it's showing up this way. I haven't changed any settings.

Here is the link to my podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-stop-binge-eating-podcast/id1429051512

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Whole blog post showing up in iTunes
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 12:40:12 pm »
Apple is not consistent about this. The iTunes Summary works ONLY in the iTunes desktop application. The iOS Podcasts app uses your full show notes. There's no way to change this.

Kirstin Sarfde

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 04:16:32 pm »
But it was working last week. It showed up perfectly. I know other people who set their's up the same way I do and their's looks normal. So are you saying there is no way for me to keep my blog post with all the show notes out of the podcast app notes?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 12:42:42 am »
One thing you can try is to go to the general WordPress settings >> Reading and then set syndication feeds to summary only instead of Full Text and click the Save Changes button. If you're using any caching plugins/services, clear them. Give Apple Podcasts at least 24 hours to update itself based on the new format of the podcast feed.

Jeremy Myers

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 08:39:46 pm »
I'm having this same problem too. However, I need the FULL text of the post in the regular feed since I use it to populate an RSS email campaign.

I find it surprising that the Blubrry Wordpress plugin doesn't have the option for what to include in the podcast RSS feeds. Shouldn't it be relatively simple to have a checkbox option so that ONLY the iTunes summary is included in the podcast RSS feeds?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 06:47:31 pm »
The challenge here is that different podcasting apps handle information from feeds differently. The only application that actually uses iTunes Summaries is desktop iTunes. Everything other app pulls from the main blog post.

PowerPress relies on the RSS generator built into WordPress. That generator only works with blog posts. There's no way for PowerPress to create a second feed outside of the blog post system.

If it's imperative that the post on your site and the notes that display in your feed be different, create one post for the podcast episode and another with the notes for your site and then link between the two as needed.