Author Topic: Apple Podcasts show description includes Header and image captions  (Read 417 times)

Peter Lavoie

Hello,

After successfully posting and launching my podcast on Apple Podcasts (yeahhhh!), I noticed that in the description field on the app, the description includes the blog Header and captions from my Wordpress Post. I've tried a bunch of things from editing the ID3 tag through my Blubbry podcaster dashboard to tooling around in the PowerPress settings, but nothing I've done so far has removed the header and caption characters from the description.

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated!

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Apple Podcasts show description includes Header and image captions
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 02:49:20 pm »
Please post a link to your show's listing in Apple Podcasts so we can take a closer look at what's going on.

Peter Lavoie

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 08:40:02 am »
Hey there,

here's the link: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-spiritbros-podcast/

The description field is accurate now and displays the bit I want it to. The information 'i' includes the header and caption, and the summary that appears on mobile also includes the header and caption from the blog post.

Thanks for the help!

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 12:42:09 pm »
That URL is coming up as Item Not Available.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 11:21:23 pm »
I subscribed to your show using the latest version of the iOS Podcasts app on my iPhone that has the latest version of iOS. Looking at your most recent episode, I saw no evidence of anything other than regular text in the episode description. Screenshot here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2olbvfledbgx2da/Spiritbros%20Podcasts%20App.jpeg?dl=0

If you're still seeing unwanted code in the descriptions, delete the subscription from the app, kill the app, relaunch the app, and resubscribe. The Podcasts app does a lot of device-level caching and this is the only way to clear it.

Peter Lavoie

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 09:50:18 am »
On the screenshot you provide, the writing "Math prepping for the spiritbros podcast" comes from a caption underneath a photograph and not the main body of the blog post.

What I'm aiming to do is have only the body appear in the description and summary of the podcast. In the episode with Dr. Patrick Owen, the blog header appears as well.

The page where you see 'available shows' on the apple app is the most problematic as the short summary there is the header followed by the caption. Since there are so few words that show up in that summary, the header/caption combo doesn't read well and just looks off. That's what I'm trying to fix!

I've seen some shows that have no summaries, just 'episode notes.' Maybe that's a way to go about it?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 12:44:01 pm »
Are you typing the image captions directly into the blog post editor or are you including the captions as part of the image embed when you add the image?

Peter Lavoie

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 01:57:59 pm »
Into the blog post editor.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 10:54:51 pm »
That's why they're showing up in the notes, then. There's nothing PowerPress can do to stop that from happening.

Peter Lavoie

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 03:26:23 pm »
I'm not a programmer and have no idea whether this is possible or not, but this is definitely something to look into for Power Press. It would be great if I could choose what Apple features as the summary/description on the app. Or at least prioritize the text body so it shows up first.

Thanks for the help,
Peter