Author Topic: Equipment required to start a podcast  (Read 723 times)

Jo

• Rookie
Equipment required to start a podcast
« on: August 26, 2018, 11:49:44 am »
Hi
Apologies if this question has been posted a thousand times already but I'm looking to start a podcast from my office in the house

Please can anyone make any recommendations on the kit required to do this, I don't want to cut corners but need to keep costs down initially, that being said tried and tested kit recommendation would be great.

The office is just a small room with a window and a desk.

Any recommendations on the kit required would be greatly appreciated. At this time, I have a laptop only.

thank you

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Equipment required to start a podcast
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 01:07:40 pm »
WHat are you looking to do? Will you have only one person in your room that needs a microphone? Or more than one?

Are you planning on recording with remote guests? Or just doing a solo show and/or a show with other people only in your room?

Jo

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 01:13:24 pm »
Hi

Just one person initially in the room, can expand later.

Yes i will record with remote guests and a lot will be solo.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 10:10:43 pm »
Many podcasters have a good experience starting with the AudioTechnica ATR2100 microphone. It's a relatively inexpensive, good-sounding mic that can be used as a USB microphone connected directly to a computer for recording. If you expand down the road, the ATR2100 can also be used as an analog XLR microphone, so you can plug it into a mixer or multichannel audio interface.

For recording remote guests, many podcasters use Skype. There are a number of ways to record Skype calls, depending on the operating system of your computer. Also, Skype is slowly rolling out a built-in recording functionality to all users, so you'll be able to record Skype calls right there within the app without any additional software.

Jo

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 02:37:07 pm »
thank you,

I'm based in the UK and looking for a UK equivalent.

Can anyone list out the exact equipment to get started, just needs to be good quality that cuts out background noise and then the ability record.

thank you

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 12:51:46 pm »
I'm in the US and I'm not sure what gear vendors operate in the UK. If you're on Facebook, I'd recommend joining this group, as it was started by an experienced UK podcaster and seems to get a lot of interaction from others located there:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/571436979623574/about/