Author Topic: Both podcast channels not validating, each has different issues  (Read 586 times)

Jason Petros

I have been using Powerpress for several months now, and have had no issues. Always kept up-to-date with new versions of everything, etc.

I have one website (www.earzup-podcast.com) and two channels - http://earzup-podcast.com/feed/podcast/ and http://earzup-podcast.com/feed/sabers-superpowers/ - everything is on one server.

Two days ago I was able to publish on the latter (Sabers & Superpowers) and get iTunes to update with the new show, but not the former. I check the RSS feed and got this: HTTP/1.1 416 Requested Range Not Satisfiable, but the Sabers feed validated just fine.

Today, the Sabers feed is down, but is showing this error: Feed Problems. This feed does not validate as a basic RSS feed.

Something is wonky and i don't know what to do about it. I have followed the instructions from this page: https://create.blubrry.com/resources/powerpress/using-powerpress/diagnosing-feed-andor-player-issues-with-powerpress/ and nothing has helped. My web host doesn't know what the issue is, and I'm hoping someone here can help.

Thanks in advance!

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Both podcast channels not validating, each has different issues
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 03:01:49 pm »
The feed here:
http://earzup-podcast.com/feed/sabers-superpowers/

Is loading fine in a web browser and also validating without any issues. The other feed, however, is coming up as inaccessible. Contact support for the company hosting your website and see if they have anything in their logs that might indicate why the other feed isn't loading.

Jason Petros

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 08:43:53 pm »
Thanks Shawn - yeah the Sabers started acting normal again. My web guy has not been able to figure the issue out.

Jason Petros

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 09:54:30 pm »
Could something have changed in the feed generator? Since I have two feeds on the same server and one works while the other does not, it seems like an issue with the plugin rather than a mis-configuration on the server end.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 11:03:15 am »
It's a normal operation for PowerPress to be able to generate multiple podcast feeds. If there were a problem with the plugin doing that, we'd be inundated with support requests like yours. This is the first case I've seen like yours.

Jason Petros

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 11:15:02 am »
So what can I do, then, besides find another plugin to use instead of this one? I've uninstalled, reinstalled, deactivated plugins, went to the default theme, refreshed cache - all that and still one of my two feeds won't validate after almost 5 years of working perfectly.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 11:23:13 am by Jason Petros »

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 11:31:32 am »
Doing some basic research online, I found one instance where a WordPress user received a "Requested Range Not Satisfiable" message because they were using a caching service called Varnish. Sometimes, web hosting companies use caching services like this at the server level. So, it's not something you'd have access to from within your WordPress dashboard.

In another instance, a user was using a second podcasting plugin on their site. If you've got any other podcasting plugins active, deactivate and delete them.

Also, I've asked Blubrry's lead developer to look at your question. Either he will reply here directly or I will reply for him once he's had a chance to look at your situation.

Jason Petros

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 11:35:10 am »
This one is the only podcasting plugin in have, after switching from an older one some months back. Thanks, Shawn.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 09:19:11 am »
I was able to go to the podcast feed via the GET query string (rather than permalink method) and it shows the feed works: http://earzup-podcast.com/?feed=podcast

The issue with your podcast feed is a caching one. The error comes from within WordPress itself. External caching say in nginx or varnish would not cache an error page like that for more than a few hours. It is caching within WordPress. Double check that you do not have any caching plugins. Also if yuor web hosting provides a plugin to clear site cache, make sure you use that to clear your site cache. You may also have a define in your wp-config.php that enabled some caching that is causing the issue.

Can you share who your web hosting is through?

You can also try disabling powerpress, then going to that feed URL again to see if it is still cached: http://earzup-podcast.com/feed/podcast/ If it is then it is something outside of WordPress's source code causing the issue. If it is not cached, then we need to get a full list of the active plugins on your site.

Thanks,
Angelo

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 09:19:54 am »
Also may be an issue with permalinks, to fix that, go to WordPress Settings > Permalinks and click save once. Saving that will re-generate the permalink structure.

Jason Petros

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 12:14:38 pm »
Thanks Angelo!

I do not have any caching plugins active on the site any longer, since I discovered this issue.

I have an email into my host to try again with the cache on his end, he runs it through Host Gator.

I disabled Powerpress and hit that link and I got: Requested Range Not Satisfiable

I did the permalink suggestion and still have the same issue.

Jason Petros

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 02:04:05 pm »
Host Gator does not have an option to clear the cache on the host end, only through a WP plugin, which I've done already.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 02:33:16 pm »
If you had PowerPress disabled and it still gave you a "Requested Range Not Satisfiable", then the problem is a caching one outside of WordPress, When PowerPress is disabled the URL should display an HTML 404 page from your theme. I would contact the web host, hostgater in this instance, for help. I did test the web server and I do see they are using nginx, which is commonly setup with caching, more than likely the problem is within nginx.
"

Jason Petros

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 12:33:38 am »
They flushed the cache, and now I'm getting a 404 error instead, and the second feed for Sabers cannot be validated: http://castfeedvalidator.com/?url=http://earzup-podcast.com/feed/sabers-superpowers/

Jason Petros

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 02:40:52 pm »
Just playing around, I reset the permalinks again and now both feeds are working properly. Thanks so much for your efforts!