Author Topic: Force audio player always / Make audio files with parameters work correctly??  (Read 507 times)

Stephen Jondrew

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to solve a problem that I'm having. I have found that PowerPress has troubles handling audio files that use a parameter (such as ?dest-id=X). When this happens, the video player (with the blubrry play icon) appears instead of the proper audio player.

I was wondering if there was a way to fix this, or possibly force PowerPress to always display the audio player, since my site does not use video.

An example of this issue can be found at https://www.gonnageek.com/2018/05/agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-the-one-who-will-save-us-all-a-marvel-comic-universe-podcast-los241/

Thank you.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
I did some testing and found that removing the ?dest-id=163061 from the media file URL caused the standard audio player to display. Is this a workable solution for you? If not, let me know, and I'll check with the dev team to see if there's any other possible solution.

Stephen Jondrew

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the reply. That's what I'm doing for some posts currently, but it's so time consuming that I thought I'd finally post (been doing that for at least a year or so, but ironically was too lazy to come post a thread :D)

Thanks for passing it along, and if there are any other suggestions, it'd be appreciated.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
It is highly suggested to remove the ?dest-id... from the URLs, there are a handful of services that use the value at the end of the URL (.mp3) to determine the file type. It works with iTunes and most players but it is not worth the hassle. Plus the dest-id is a setting that is specific from the feed you got the media URL from, keeping that will not be helpful. I would just get into the habit of not including it.

If you have a lot of urls with the value you can use the Find and Replace media URLs option in PowerPress > Tools menu.

Stephen Jondrew

Thanks for posting angelo, but this is for the network, so manually replacing / routinely replacing isn't an option. As I've also seen some other hosts occasionally use that for other reasons, I was hoping there would be an option to force the audio player, but it sounds like that isn't the case.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
I would suggest the obvious, switch to Blubrry Podcast hosting. Then you're doing everything from within WordPress and all of your media files are compliant for all platforms without having to have multiple separate feeds. :)

Stephen Jondrew

This isn't really a possibility since the network consists of a variety of podcasters, using a variety of different services. With that said, I think I finally successfully wrote a hook to modify to solve the problem before it hits PowerPress since I couldn't force PowerPress.

Thanks again for your assistance.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Oh interesting sounds very complicated! Feel free to share your code here if you like so others can use it. I am glad you figured out a solution!