Author Topic: brry wp 2.8  (Read 1995 times)

WhoisMarkTaylor

brry wp 2.8
« on: June 22, 2009, 09:29:08 am »
hi i am new as well, sorry but we all have to start somewhere. I have created a podcast and uploaded it to my server into wp-content/uploads. the file is around 32Mb

I have installed the powerpress plugin and all is good. big smiles

I have created post and linked media to above file url....ok kokay

when i save post as draft and then preview ...all is not good

If i download the file it starts to play with in a new window?,
 if I play the file from the player i end up with the loading screen hanging forever. no audio at all. have been back and forwards with this for ages please help...

Mark

WhoisMarkTaylor

Re: brry wp 2.8
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:25:54 am »
hello after reading in depth i noticed

#

PHP must have allow_url_fopen enabled or the PHP-cURL library installed.

Fasthosts.co.uk have both these desabled to protect the security of their servers!!!

Is there any way around this apart from the obvious move to another hosting provider.

p.s  why would fast hosts say they have to protect their servers when i assume you have developed the plugin for mass use across many hosting services... or am i barking up the wrong tree, are FH full of BS?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 03:07:26 pm »
Hard to answer this. The straight answer is you will need to switch hosting providers. Your hosting provider is locking your blog from communicating out, thus not allowing pings, trackbacks, and many other server to server communications including PowerPress Blubrry Services integration.

Web Hosting Security is a mixture of decisions that each administrator has to make in order to feel satisfied their servers are secured and as free as possible from being hacked. It just so happens that the hosting provider you are using has an opinion that any application you install that can communicate outside of the web server is dangerous and is disabled (disabling allow_url_fopen enabled or the PHP-cURL).

Some web hosting services protect their services by disabling only allow_url_fopen but allowing cURL. Others still claim to protect their servers while allowing both allow_url_fopen and cURL. So your web hosting is not necessarily full of any BS, but you will get a different answer from different web hosting providers as to what they consider secure. Does this make sense?

As far as my personal opinion, cURL is reasonably safe and enabling allow_url_fopen may or may not be depending on how easy it is to install applications on the particular server. If anything can easily be installed and people I don't trust 100% can install them, then I would be reluctant to configure allow_url_fopen enabled. If it is a server that I feel comfortable with the other users/administrators accessing it to installing applications, then I would be comfortable with both allow_url_fopen and cURL enabled. Again, this is my personal opinion, any other administrator is going to give you varying answers.

WhoisMarkTaylor

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 05:30:28 pm »
thanks angelo guess what i have switched hosts to hostgator but it still doesnt work just hangs and doesnt start playing, big hair loss!!!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 06:27:09 pm »
Okay, two things: Is the audio file an mp3? How do you upload the PowerPress plugin, via FTP?

Flash players can only play mp3 audio files and flv video files. So if your audio is in wma or m4a format, that could be why nothing is playing in your web pages.

If you upload the PowerPress plugin via FTP, please make sure the FlowPlayerClassic.swf file is uploaded in binary format. If it is uploaded as an ASCII file, it will be corrupted and fail to work.