Author Topic: How many "Listeners" do I have?  (Read 570 times)

Green-Shoot

How many "Listeners" do I have?
« on: March 01, 2018, 12:30:26 pm »
Hi there,
I've been podcasting for about 9 years now and only recently has the UK has caught up with Podcasting in a big way. Now, when I ask for interview guests, marketers and PR people are asking "How many listeners do you have?"
I have download stats for PowerPress and Visitor stats for the sites, how do I translate that into Listener figures that PR people will understand?
Thanks
Johnny

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: How many "Listeners" do I have?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 01:16:12 am »
If you're using Blubrry stats, you can get an estimate of your total audience by taking a look at your download numbers after an episode has been out for four weeks. It's likely that, after four weeks, all of your regular listeners have downloaded a new episode.

It's harder to say with web analytics, as not all website visitors are guaranteed to be listeners to your podcast. But, you may be able to use these two stats (download numbers and web stats) together to paint a larger overall picture of your show's total reach.

Green-Shoot

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 06:31:26 am »
Please could you clarify - are download statistics the same as listens? I mean, if someone comes to the site and plays the podcast from the site, is that a download or is it only when the audio is delivered to the player as a separate file?
Sorry if this should be obvious.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 08:50:50 pm »
In Blubrry stats, everything is counted as a download, including if someone plays one of your podcasts thru an embedded player on your website.

Green-Shoot

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 06:01:25 am »
That was brilliantly helpful Shawn.
THANK YOU!