Author Topic: Migrating to New Host - Keeping Same Domain  (Read 455 times)

Will Lentz

• Rookie
Migrating to New Host - Keeping Same Domain
« on: January 19, 2018, 01:12:20 pm »
My podcast site is currently hosted at Bluehost and I've been unhappy with their services. I'm looking at switching to a2 hosting and using their free site transfer services (cPanel transfer). The site is Wordpress using the Powerpress plugin and all of my podcast episodes are already hosted on Blubrry.

So, my question is, what happens when I transfer? Will it screw up the RSS feed that I've already submitted to iTunes, Google Play and the rest? Will I need to do anything? Will my posts with prior episodes still ink up correctly?

Again, I'm not changing domains, just the hosting company.

Thanks for any help or guidance you can point me to!

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Migrating to New Host - Keeping Same Domain
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 12:49:07 pm »
As long as the URL structure of your site remains the same, transferring shouldn't be a problem. An importing thing to consider is to make sure your current podcast RSS feed's GUIDs are carried over to the new location. Following the steps here should help with that:
https://create.blubrry.com/resources/powerpress/advanced-tools-and-options/import-podcast-rss-feed/

Preserving the GUIDs will help to ensure your current subscribers don't see old episodes as new episodes after the move.

Will Lentz

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 02:21:59 pm »
Ok, awesome. Thanks for the reassurance there.

I'm reading through the guide that you linked to, but I'm a little confused.

1. I don't see GUIDs mentioned in the guide.
2. So I will need to import my existing RSS feed back into Powerpress when I move to the new host?

Any further guidance is much appreciated!

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 12:48:02 am »
Depending on how you're moving the site, you may or not may not need to run the PowerPress import. For example, if you're moving the database, then all of your podcast information should just be carried over. So, no need to run the Import Tool. If you do need to run the Import Tool, PowerPress will do its best to preserve your GUIDs from one installation to the other.