Author Topic: Help: Youtube embed shows in draft, but not in actual post  (Read 482 times)

Stephen T. Harper

Help: Youtube embed shows in draft, but not in actual post
« on: January 10, 2018, 12:03:00 pm »
All I’m trying to do is embed a youtube video in a post which also features the regular podcast ( audio) player.

embedding the youtube URL does make the video show up in the draft of the post. But after posting or updating to the actual live page, it disappears (but still shows in the draft).

My "current theme" is “PowerPressTheme” version 1.0. Which should be pretty basic.  I don’t have any plugins besides what came with the theme.

It all seems pretty simple, but it doesn’t work for me.

Can anyone help?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Help: Youtube embed shows in draft, but not in actual post
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 12:39:10 pm »
If you're adding the embed code to the actual blog post, make sure you're on the Text side of the editor, not the Visual side.

Stephen T. Harper

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 10:31:44 pm »
Thanks but that doesn’t change it.  I’ve also tried using the text interface to erase all excess code. Still no go.

The instructions - paste the url, or use the embed code - seem simple enough. And again, it DOES show the video's thumbnail in the draft  version. But making it live on the webpage makes the video disappear.

Anybody seen this before?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 10:56:40 pm »
After you publish the post, if you go back and look at it in the WordPress editor, is the code still there?

Stephen T. Harper

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 12:19:15 am »
 No. The post looks clean on the edit page. But there was a ton of extraneous code when I deleted it. And if I erase the video url and then redo the process (meaning find the video on youtube again and copying the url again) the extra code shows up again. But to answer your question, no, once I erase the extra code it stays gone.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 08:37:54 pm »
Just to clarify - you are adding the YouTube embed code to the main body of your WordPress post? Or are you using the Embed Media option in PowerPress?

Stephen T. Harper

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 10:49:43 pm »
That’s rigth. And I’ve tried it with the embed code and with just pasting the url. Both methods do the same thing - they appear as expected in the draft version, then don’t show up in the actual post when you publish/update. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 12:45:46 pm »
A couple more things you can try.

First, just try adding the embed code to your post with a different web browser. We see weird behaviors sometimes with this kinda thing and different web browsers.

Another option would be to try the Embed Field feature in PowerPress. You can try that by taking these steps:
1.) Log in to your WordPress site
2.) Go to PowerPress >> Settings, Advanced Mode >> Check the box next to Embed Field and click the Save Changes button
3.) Now, you'll see a field within your Podcast Episode boxes called Media Embed, copy/paste the embed code and publish or update the post and see if that allows the embedded media player to display

Stephen T. Harper

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 04:11:10 pm »
Thanks again, but that doesn’t work either.

How can it be that the vid shows up in the draft (and plays too) but not the actual post? 
This is a amazing that no one else is having this problem. *sigh*

Stephen T. Harper

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 01:22:25 pm »
Is it possible that I don’t have the right kind of account that enables the “simple” embed feature?  I have the basic pay level account - $20/month.  That’s not the issue, right?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 12:07:39 pm »
If you're using Blubrry PowerPress Sites Basic, the embed code won't work inside the body of a post. (I was just told this by the dev team, they said fixing this is on their to-do list.) I was told that the embed code should work if you use the Embed Media function within PowerPress. I covered how to do that here:
https://forum.blubrry.com/index.php/topic,7924.msg24215.html#msg24215

Stephen T. Harper

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 01:09:58 pm »
Thanks again for conintuing to try, I do appreciate it - but unfortunately, my page is not like what you are describing so it is difficult to know if I’m doing it right. Here’s what I’m seeing...

"Another option would be to try the Embed Field feature in PowerPress. You can try that by taking these steps:
1.) Log in to your WordPress site
2.) Go to PowerPress >> Settings, Advanced Mode >> Check the box next to Embed Field and click the Save Changes button”

I don’t have an "Embed Field” on this page. Closest thing I can find is if I click the “Episodes” tab, the 3rd box from the tops says “Embed Field” I have that checked. (it refers to youtube videos and seems like what we are talking about, but I’ve always had it checked. Tried it checked, unchecked, etc. Same problem persists.

"3.) Now, you'll see a field within your Podcast Episode boxes called Media Embed"

Not on my Powerpress settings, Advanced Mode. There is no such box. Only the box I mentioned above.

"copy/paste the embed code and publish or update the post and see if that allows the embedded media player to display”
Still no dice.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 05:41:47 pm »
Sorry for the confusion. The Podcast Episode box isn't in PowerPress settings. It's the box in your WordPress posts where you create your Podcast Episodes (usually right underneath the main blog entry box).

Stephen T. Harper

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 07:32:47 pm »
Oh, wow!  That worked! Thanks, Shawn!
Man, the interface with power press/wordpress is confusing. At least to me, anyway.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 07:39:33 pm »
Sorry for the confusion, Stephen.

I'll admit, I should've checked sooner to see if you were using PowerPress Sites. I just assumed you were using self-hosted WordPress.

Anyway, glad to see that worked for you!