Author Topic: Can I make podcasts posts to 2 sites simultaneously?  (Read 751 times)

Alex Wasserman

• Rookie
Can I make podcasts posts to 2 sites simultaneously?
« on: December 05, 2017, 09:21:53 am »
We have a corporate site and we have a local site. We upload our mp3 to libsyn, then post via PowerPress onto our corporate site. Recently I have been asked to duplicate this effort on our local site. The reason being because our corporate site is kind of a customer 'dead-end.' We ultimately want to redirect/drive this traffic to our local site where customers can more easily find out about our services and make appointments, which cannot be done on the corporate site. My questions are as follows:

1) Is there a way to make a PowerPress post that will post to my corporate site and my local site simultaneously so that my posts appear on both?

2) If yes, is there also a way to duplicate this effort for past posts? We have about 100 podcasts episodes on our corporate site so far, can I copy them to our local site somehow?

3) Will doing this negatively affect our SEO if there are identical podcasts/posts on two different sites? This is our top priority.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Can I make podcasts posts to 2 sites simultaneously?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 11:48:22 am »
PowerPress has no "auto syndicate" features that allow it post to multiple sites like you're looking for. The only solution really is to just manually add it to both sites. It's possible that there may be a third-party WordPress plugin that does this, but if it exists, I've not heard of it.

I'm no SEO expert, but it's generally considered to be a bad idea to publish exact duplicate posts on multiple sites. Theory is that search engines will assume one site is scraping the other, and potentially lower both sites' search engine rank. You could consider leaving the complete show notes for the podcasts on the site you want to drive traffic to. And then when you post the podcast to the other site, just put a short note with a link that says something like "for complete show notes, click here." The link would go to that same episode's post on the site you want to drive traffic to.

Alex Wasserman

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 03:57:33 pm »
Thank you for your help.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 05:02:16 pm »
You're welcome!

If you've found the support we've provided here to be of value, please consider leaving a review for PowerPress:
https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/powerpress/reviews/?rate=5#new-post
These reviews help us with future development of the plugin, and we'd really appreciate it!

Alex Wasserman

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 03:55:36 pm »
So I've found actually that the import feature was perfect for copying the podcast feed to the new site. I checked off the box 'include blog posts' however the blog posts don't contain any of the images and videos that were in the original blog posts. Why? Can I fix that?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 10:56:41 pm »
Were the media files imported to the new location? Overall, I've found the WordPress Import tool doesn't handle this kinda thing very well.

Alex Wasserman

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 09:14:53 am »
No, it doesn't seem like there was an option for it. Here is a pic of the import screen. I pasted by libsyn RSS feed URL into the textbox, checked off 'include blog posts' and pressed go. The text is in the blog posts but not the externally hosted images and videos. The videos are included from places like YouTube and Vimeo.

https://imgur.com/a/Gw1OF

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 11:20:51 pm »
WordPress has its own Import tool that works outside of the PowerPress Import tool. That might be able to do it. Overall tho, I've never gotten WordPress to move those kinds of files on its own. There's almost always a manual migration required to get it done.