Author Topic: Verify URL not obeying HTTPS  (Read 535 times)

Shaun Furey

• Rookie
Verify URL not obeying HTTPS
« on: December 05, 2017, 07:32:17 am »
I'm testing out Digital Ocean Spaces for podcast episode hosting which uses HTTPS only. If you try to hit it on port 80 you just get a 302 redirect to 443.

This causes Powerpress to spit out "Media URL exceeded redirect limit of 12 (fopen)."

When Verify URL is clicked, a packet shows my server reach out the server hosting the MP3 but over port 80, not 443, which DO then redirects to 443 then PP tries 80 again and it's a vicious cycle.

So, it appears Powerpress itself supports HTTPS but the Verify URL button is forced to check the file over HTTP vs HTTPS

Anyone else run into anything similar?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Verify URL not obeying HTTPS
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 11:24:32 am »
I've asked the dev team to take a look at your question. A response will be posted here as soon as possible.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 11:56:48 am »
Please provide a link to one of the media files you've had trouble verifying so we can do some testing.

Shaun Furey

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 02:58:42 pm »
Hi Shawn,

You can use the below

https://nerdsense.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/2017/Nerdsense_Episode108.mp3

Thanks for looking into this!

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 01:17:45 pm »
I was able to successfully verify your media file URL using my own test site, and the dev team didn't have any difficulty verifying it, either.

Even if PowerPress has trouble verifying a media file URL, it will usually still let you publish the podcast. Have you tried clicking the Publish button to see if the episode publishes to your site as expected?

Shaun Furey

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 02:19:58 pm »
Thanks Shawn! I went back and did some more sleuthing and I didn't have php-curl installed *facepalm* Once I installed that it verified just fine.

Not sure why it would break for DO hosting vs AWS but it verifies just fine now. Thanks for looking into this thus pushing me to dig a little deeper!

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 02:51:04 pm »
Glad to see we got you pointed in the right direction!

If you've found the support we've provided here to be of value, please consider leaving a review for PowerPress:
https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/powerpress/reviews/?rate=5#new-post
These reviews help us with future development of the plugin, and we'd really appreciate it!