Author Topic: Naming Your Podcast - Duplicate Names  (Read 1342 times)

Brad Carpenter

Naming Your Podcast - Duplicate Names
« on: October 05, 2017, 03:55:00 am »
I am just starting out and have been thinking about what name to call my podcast. I really like one name among the many I've thought of, but after doing a search, there seems to be someone else already using that name.

But after doing some more research I noticed there seems to be quite a few podcasts with duplicate (or very similar) names. Not being familiar with the podcast world, is this something that is common? And are podcast names registered? What happens when there is more than one podcast with the same name? Is it a matter of peaceful co-existence?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Naming Your Podcast - Duplicate Names
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 10:46:27 am »
There are podcasts with the same name. There's really nothing stopping this from happening. I'm sure some podcasts have taken legal measures to protect their show name and brand. Most probably have not. Personally, I'd rather have a unique name, so if I were planning on launching a new show and I discovered there was another show already using that name, I'd come up with a new name unless perhaps the other show was seriously podfaded.

Brad Carpenter

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 04:26:34 pm »
Thanks, I've been through 23 possible names now and they are all already taken. It reminds me of whenever I sign up to a new email account, and have to go through dozens of names and variations of names before I find one that hasn't already been used.

I'll try to keep thinking up something unique, but at some point I'm just going to say screw it.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 10:13:27 am »
One thing to consider before taking any name (unless you absolutely know it's not being used) is to do a trademark search, just to be safe. If someone's trademarked a name/brand and you use the same name, they're more likely to take legal action to protect that name.