Author Topic: Enclosure field displays in post  (Read 1029 times)

Brian Wilde

Enclosure field displays in post
« on: July 20, 2017, 10:56:00 pm »
I'm using Powerpress to import an RSS podcast feed from an external server. On my posts page, the enclosure field data is appearing on some but not all episode posts. I can't figure out what is causing this information to be displayed on the posts page (but not on the individual post). It looks rather bad; I'd like to correct the issue. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Enclosure field displays in post
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 05:47:25 pm »
By "posts page," I assume you're referring to an achieve page? Please post a link to a page where you're seeing the unusual display behavior and we'll take a look.

Brian Wilde

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 08:53:20 pm »
Here you go--thanks for taking a look.

http://freethehousewives.com/podcast-2/

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 04:36:53 pm »
Please ensure you're running the latest version of PowerPress. Then, go to PowerPress >> Settings, Advanced Mode >> Website >> Having issues? and try the different options in the dropdown menu. Select the first option and click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page. If the first option doesn't solve the problem, repeat the process with the other options in the menu.

Brian Wilde

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 08:21:51 pm »
Thanks--that did the trick.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 12:22:32 pm »
Glad to see that fixed the problem!

If you've found the support we've provided here to be of value, please consider leaving a review for PowerPress:
https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/powerpress/reviews/?rate=5#new-post
These reviews help us with future development of the plugin, and we'd really appreciate it!

Brian Wilde

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 03:48:56 pm »
I'm back. Removing the unwanted meta data using the method described above also disabled the player, so I am at an impasse again. No other switch is removing the erroneous data. I can't figure out why some of the post excerpts are showing the information and others are not.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 04:02:37 pm »
You've tried all of the options within the Having Issues? dropdown menu that was suggested above?

Brian Wilde

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 09:45:21 am »
Yes. The only option that removed the unwanted feed enclosure tag also removed the player.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 11:29:30 am »
Can you explain more about the "unwanted enclosure tag?" You said that you imported the podcast from an outside server. Did the podcast have links to media files before that you didn't want to use as podcasts? Upon import, PowerPress turns all linked media files into podcasts with enclosure tags.

Brian Wilde

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 02:05:52 pm »
Sure, here is an example from the Posts page at http://freethehousewives.com/podcast-2/, where the show description is short (episode 17), the feed url is appended to the end of the excerpt:

The Housewives get a surprise visit from Wonder Woman! http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/freethehousewives/~5/rNpxXfH2NHs/Ep017WonderWomanIsReal.mp3Podcast: Play in new...

When the show description is longer, the feed url doesn't appear (episode 15, for example):

The Housewives are in a funk and don’t even know why… is it summer? Hormones? The disappointment of Sam the Cooking Guy “rescheduling”? Maybe plans to dress like pirate wenches and a dipstick will make it all better. #arrghh!...

So the obvious solution is to lengthen the description as a workaround. Thanks for the followup, much appreciated.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 12:09:40 pm »
That'd appear to be a condition of how your theme is handling excerpts. In which case, yes, changing that behavior would likely fix the problem. You can check the theme Appearance settings and see if it has any options for excerpts. But it seems like these kinds of things are usually round deeper, within the theme coding itself.