Author Topic: 7.1 appears to break "iTunes Summary Field"  (Read 2437 times)

Charles Wiltgen

7.1 appears to break "iTunes Summary Field"
« on: July 14, 2017, 02:42:12 pm »
As of 7.1, PowerPress is no longer using the "iTunes Summary" field for the PowerPress-generated feed when the "iTunes Summary Field" preference is checked.

I'd really appreciate if this was fixed ASAP!

— Charles

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: 7.1 appears to break "iTunes Summary Field"
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 03:34:24 pm »
Hey Charles - can you respond with a link to a feed where you're seeing this behavior? I will also forward this to Angelo and make sure he's aware.

Charles Wiltgen

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 04:10:48 pm »
Sure! Here's the feed: http://eopeople.net/feed/podcast

I know it's not using the "iTunes Summary" field because the contents are slightly different.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 07:23:50 pm »
Thanks for the link, Charles.

Angelo wanted me to check with you and make sure (as far as you know) that this wasn't also happening under the previous version, 7.0.3?

Charles Wiltgen

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 08:40:35 pm »
I believe this is a new issue, because (1) the person I'm helping really counts on this functionality so I'm confident he'd have noticed, and (2) he's pretty on top of updates.

I may need to revert to 7.0.x, so if that fixes it I'll confirm here.

Charles Wiltgen

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 01:32:54 pm »
Shawn: I've confirmed that this still works correctly in 7.0.4.

Charles Wiltgen

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 06:27:49 pm »
Oops, no—there's no apparent way to delete or update my last post, but 7.0.4 (used on another site) still has the problem.

I could try 7.0.3 for you, but WordPress doesn't let me upload that over 7.1. I'm afraid to uninstall 7.1 first because I don't want to lose all of my settings. Any guidance for me on this?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 02:13:29 pm »
Thanks for the updates, Charles. I am nudging Angelo from multiple directions to look at your issue. I'll report back whatever he has to say, or he'll respond here himself.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 02:24:02 pm »
Charles,

The summary is in the feed: http://eopeople.net/feed/podcast correctly as near as I can tell. 

What are they seeing that doesn't add up?  (sorry I got here late)

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 03:15:37 pm »
Hello Charles,

Can you be specific which app this is happening in? The feed looks ok.

So we are on the same page, the iOS podcast app uses the content:encoded field if set (it is not set in your feed) then falls back to the iTunes summary. If you do not enter a specific iTunes summary for the episode, the blog post content is used.

If you have a custom value in the iTunes summary field in the episode box and that value is not in the feeds iTunes summary field, then there is a bug. I am testing for this now and do not see an issue but I am trying a few things to try to reproduce.

--angelo

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 03:33:22 pm »
HEllo Charles,

I am unable to reproduce. Every time I customize the itunes summary for an episode it shows up in the feed. It may have something to do with the values entered. Can you take a screen shot of editing the latest episode's itunes summary field? Also, if you can copy/paste what should be in there at the bottom of a reply, i will test with that exact data.

Thanks,
Angelo

Aaron Clow

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 11:58:52 am »
If this is the same issue I spoke of a year ago, please test using Podcast Addict for Android. The entire blog post shows up in the episode summary. This is a recent change, perhaps in the last month or so.

Aaron Clow

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 03:52:33 pm »
Some podcast apps (like Podcast Addict, in these screen caps) appear to be pulling the summary from somewhere else:

http://www.tiserves.com/images/blubrry1.png (settings for this episode)

http://www.tiserves.com/images/blubrry2.png (result in Podcast Addict for full episode summary - has ALWAYS shown the full blog post, and this is what I was asking about in my old thread here: https://forum.blubrry.com/index.php/topic,6870.msg21877.html)

http://www.tiserves.com/images/blubrry3.png (this, *until recently*, showed the short summary, but now it shows the same FULL post that the full summary does)

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 01:36:55 pm »
If it is like AntennaPod, it uses gpodder.net podcast directory. I am not 100% sure though. Is your podcast listed on gpodder.net?

Aaron Clow

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 01:59:46 pm »
It doesn't look like either one of our podcasts is listed there.

Podcast Addict can use the iTunes search engine. I just tried it and the same descriptions appear when using iTunes engine.