Author Topic: Deleting Podcasts from Website but not Blubrry/iTunes  (Read 1505 times)

Bruce G White

Deleting Podcasts from Website but not Blubrry/iTunes
« on: July 07, 2017, 03:36:22 pm »
We've been podcasting about a year and it's going great. PowerPress makes it simple; thanks! A question about podcast storage: we upload the podcast each week to our website, then link it to Blubrry, and then the feed goes to iTunes. Does this process work in reverse? I.e., if we delete the podcast on our website does it automatically delete from Blubrry & iTunes? (I hope not! We'd like to keep only the most recent podcasts on the website and leave everything on iTunes).

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Deleting Podcasts from Website but not Blubrry/iTunes
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 07:34:02 pm »
The iTunes Store and the Blubrry directory are both pass-thru directories. That means when someone listens to one of your shows thru either of these services, they're playing it back directly from wherever you host the files. If you delete those files, then anyone listening thru those services will no longer be able to access those files, and eventually, the episodes themselves will disappear from those directories completely.

Bruce G White

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 08:28:46 pm »
Thanks, Shawn. I'm not very technically minded, so forgive me if I'm a bit dense or unclear in my terminology. We do have a Blubrry hosting account, so when we upload the podcast I guess it's stored with Blubrry. I assumed that it also was stored on our site, because people can play the podcast directly from the site. In actuality, though, I guess our site is just linked to the Blubrry upload. If so, if we delete the podcast link on our site, then I'm assuming that the podcast hosted with Blubrry will remain.

Is all of this correct?

Thanks again.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 12:47:46 pm »
Yes, that's correct.

Bruce G White

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 01:42:41 pm »
Thank you!

Bruce G White

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 05:57:08 pm »
I think I'm still confused about how the process works and I've probably been using terminology incorrectly.

We create a podcast "post" on our website (title, description, speaker, etc.), but we don't upload the audio file to our site. We upload the file to Blubrry using the PowerPress plugin and just link the audio file to our site. The feed address, though, references our website, not Blubrry. So is the podcast "hosted" by Blubrry or by us?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 06:38:02 pm »
The media files are hosted by Blubrry but the podcast feed is hosted by you on your own website.

Bruce G White

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 08:47:13 pm »
Thanks for the clarification.