Author Topic: Player's bug  (Read 1296 times)

Aurelien Knaub

Player's bug
« on: January 23, 2017, 03:27:47 am »
Hi everybody,

I have been using Blubrry podcast plugin for about 6 months.
It seemed to work perfectly a couple of months ago.

Readers of my blog started to tell me that it was impossible for them to listen to the podcast on my blog.
Some said it was impossible from iTunes as well.
Some said they could not read it on their iPhone.

They can see the player, but it does not play anything.

The problem is I tested it on several computers / phones, and it has always worked perfectly for me.
So I have now quiet a few people telling me it is not working for them, but wordpress is up to date and so is Blubrry.

One reader told me:
"I think some players have the same problem: there is no file attached. It says "0.0kb" ".

I know it is pretty vague, but I don't know how I could me more precise.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks,

Aurelien

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Player's bug
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:26:45 pm »
Please post a link to a page where you're having trouble with the player so we can take a look at what's going on.

Aurelien Knaub

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 07:39:34 am »

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 01:48:14 pm »
In both of those examples, the media file link goes to a 404 page. So, either the media file URL you entered into PowerPress is wrong or there's a problem with the server hosting the media. When you added the media file URLs to PowerPress, did you click the Verify URL button? If so, did PowerPress verify the media or did you get an error message?

Aurelien Knaub

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 11:08:45 am »
Yes, I always click "verify URL" but I never have a confirmation message, nor an error message.

Also, I have read somewhere that when you click "Verify URL" PowerPress is supposed to show you the length of the audio file.
It never did it for me, no length is shown.

After clicking on "Verify URL", am I supposed to have a confirmation message?

Thanks a lot,

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 01:10:01 pm »
When you click the Verify URL button, if all goes well, you will get a "Media verified successfully" message with a green background. And yes, if PowerPress can read your media files' header information, it will automatically insert the file length and file size values to your Podcast Episode information.

Aurelien Knaub

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 04:19:19 pm »
OK, it definitely does not do that for me and never did.

It has never shown any message, but I did not have anyone saying they had trouble reading the podcast.

Any suggestion?
Re installing Power Press? If so is there any risk to loose the podcast that are already online?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 10:06:32 pm »
A few basic troubleshooting tips:
1.) Ensure PowerPress, WordPress, your theme, and all plugins are up to date.
2.) If you continue to run into unusual behavior with PowerPress, try the diagnostic steps on this page:
https://create.blubrry.com/resources/powerpress/using-powerpress/diagnosing-feed-andor-player-issues-with-powerpress/

Deleting/reinstalling PowerPress shouldn't cause any issues, as all of your PowerPress settings and podcast episode information is stored in your WordPress database. Removing the plugin doesn't touch the database.

Aurelien Knaub

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 10:45:22 am »
All plugin are up to date, I am pretty careful about that.

Thanks a lot for the help page.

I disabled a few plugins, with no positive results so far.

There are other plugins I did not try to disable because I am afraid to loose some settings and savings, such as Google Analytics, Jetpack, Yoast SEO etc.

If I just disable a plugin and enable it a couple of minutes after, is there a risk to loose settings?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 12:38:51 pm »
If plugins are properly coded to WordPress standards, they shouldn't cause data loss if they're deactivated. In fact, when WordPress updates either the core files or a plugin, it goes into a special maintenance mode where all plugins are deactivated briefly and then reactivated.