Author Topic: Newbie needing help - my podcasting gear  (Read 2002 times)

Jon Morris

• Rookie
Newbie needing help - my podcasting gear
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:17:41 am »
My buddies and I are planning a roundtable-style discussion podcast reviewing movies and such.

The gear I currently have acquired is a Behringer Xenyx 1202FX USB mixer, a Tascam DR-05 digital recorder, and qty. 4 Behringer XM1800s microphones with windscreens and table top stands and XLR cables, and 4 Behringer studio headphones and 1/4" jack splitters.

My plan is to record into the digital recorder and then upload on my PC to edit in Audacity.

Is this all I need to proceed with this? I keep feeling like I've left out a step. I know the mics are not top quality, but I think they're fine for starter mics. Again, we're not expecting anything more than speaking voice recording.

Thanks for the help!

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Newbie needing help - my podcasting gear
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 02:05:11 pm »
Looks like a solid setup to me. You should be fine. EDIT: One thing that came to mind is connecting the headphones. You said you've got some headphone splitters which is good. But if the mixer has only one headphone jack, you may not want to split that signal so many times. If it has two headphone outputs, then you'll probably be OK. Regardless, you may want to eventually look into getting a headphone distribution amp. That'll give you more flexibility for multiple sets of headphones.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 02:07:42 pm by Shawn Thorpe »

Jon Morris

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 02:47:55 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, I picked up a cheap Pyle PH40(sp?) headphone distribution amplifier off of Amazon that should suffice hopefully.

We're trying to keep this thing at a very modest budget to see if it'll even be something that we'll want to do week in and week out.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 05:45:57 pm »
That's a very practical way to approach this. I think you should be all set now in terms of gear. Good luck with the podcast!

Jim Watkins

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 10:18:16 am »
I hope I'm not hijacking here but this question seems to be very similar to what I'm hoping to do and I'm completely lost when it comes to equipment.  If I were to purchase what the OP has, would I be able to run 4 or 5 microphones?  What device does he have here that the podcast is recorded to and then later uploaded from.  I'm not sure that I'll ever even upload what I'd like to do but I have 4 or 5 buddies that I think are hilarious and I'd like to get together with some predetermined subject material and then record our conversations.  This would mostly be just for fun but with the possibility of uploading.  Thank you!

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 05:12:46 pm »
Jim, the mixer that Jon is referring to is here:
http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Analog-Mixers/QX1202USB/p/P0ALR
It has four microphone inputs, so you could connect that many individual microphones. This mixer also has a built-in USB interface so you could plug it right into a computer and begin recording. You wouldn't need an external audio recorder like Jon asked about. This could be a good solution for you, especially since you just want to test things out before actually publishing an episode.