Author Topic: Assistance with podcast setup  (Read 1240 times)

Scott Kenny

• Rookie
Assistance with podcast setup
« on: May 11, 2016, 05:38:23 am »
The company I work wishes to start an interview podcast pretty soon, as I am the inhouse video editor it has fallen to me to set up.
I proposed a simple set up with a Zoom H5 and a couple of Samson Q7 Microphones. I thought that this would be a pretty effective and simple solution for interviewing people face to face? The idea is that these podcasts would be recorded by a group of people, a different person every time like a rolling roster of hosts.
Recently (before anything has been purchased), they amended their initial brief to also interview people remotely. I assumed the best way to interview a different person every time remotely would be via Skype? Would it be possible to integrate that into what I have proposed as a set up?
TIA

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Assistance with podcast setup
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 06:08:50 pm »
It's hard to give advice on different recording setups without practical experience. But I think using an H5 along with the two Samson mics would work OK for in-person interviews. Depending on the environment, the built-in mics might be enough. It just depends on how noisy the environment is and how close the two participants can get to the mics. Still, having the external microphones will give you added control.

You could incorporate the H5 into recording Skype calls but it might be easier to get a USB microphone or headset, connect that to a computer and then use a Skype software recorder. If you've got access to a Mac, eCamm Call Recorder is a good recorder for Skype calls. There's a program for Windows called Voicemeeter that can help with recording Skype calls, as well as other programs.