Author Topic: New website for podcast help  (Read 318 times)

Peter Godoy

• Rookie
New website for podcast help
« on: April 22, 2016, 10:47:28 am »
So I am having some trouble figuring out what to do. I'm in the middle of creating a new website for my podcast. I'm not sure how to deal with the RSS feed to make sure I don't need to have my current subscribers resubscribe. Here is the history.

1st - Started with soundcloud for episodes 1-6. I thought their free limit was monthly, not lifetime. The RSS feed that was generated there was what was submitted to iTunes.

2nd - Decided to start hosting the podcast on my hostgator account where I had my personal wordpress blog. I installed powerpress and it gave me a new feed. I copied that feed into a redirect field in Soundcloud setting and that worked great. Episodes 7 through 17 (current episode) have all been through my website/blog.

3rd - I've decided I'm in this for the long haul and have bought the domain name for the name of my podcast. I created a subdomain on hostgator and installed wordpress. I haven't taken the site live yet because I'm still designing a bit, but the main reason is I don't know how to deal with the RSS feed. If I install powerpress can I just enter the feed from my old personal site? I've read about having to do an edit to a htaccess file. If I need to do that if anyone can give me any clarification it would be greatly appreciated.

I only have a couple dozen listeners at the moment, but would still hate to inconvenience them by having to resubscribe. Thank you to anyone who might be able to help.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: New website for podcast help
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 03:03:09 pm »
You'll need to create a 301 redirect from the PowerPress feed URL on the personal site to the PowerPress feed URL of the new site that'll have the domain name. This page has information on how to do that:
http://create.blubrry.com/manual/syndicating-your-podcast-rss-feeds/changing-your-podcast-rss-feed-address-url/