Author Topic: iTunes problem -- sort of  (Read 2038 times)

Berney J Wilkinson

iTunes problem -- sort of
« on: April 08, 2016, 03:04:10 pm »
OK. This is my first time posting here. I started podcasting last year and was doing well. I added a second podcast in November, and again, I had both feeds working well. They were independently posting to iTunes as well as my website. All was well.

Earlier this week, I was trying to figure out how to add an rss feed icon to my blog. Not really sure what I am doing - I am a psychologist, not an IT guru - I found some information about using Feedburner just for the blog - Not for the podcasts. It seemed to work well initially, but I then noticed that all of my podcasts disappeared. In fact, the podcast was not even listed on iTunes anymore. Assuming that the Feedburner was the issue, I disabled it and returned everything back to normal. As hoped, my podcasts all returned to iTunes.

Today, however, I have a new issue. When I go to a the podcasts app on an iTunes account that is subscribed to the podcasts, everything looks normal. However, on accounts where they had not yet subscribed to the podcasts, one podcast is not listed and the other only has one episode listed (the one from last week).

This makes no sense to me. Why is it showing up on accounts that were subscribed, but not on ones that are not yet subscribed? Moreover, when those that are not subscribed click to subscribe, the other episodes do not populate.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Did I totally mess things up by trying to put the rss feed on my blog?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Berney J Wilkinson

Re: iTunes problem -- sort of
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 04:13:17 pm »
I just figured something else out. I can see all of my episodes (including ones that are not downloaded on my phone) when I go to "My Podcasts." I can even download and play them from that tab.

However, if I use the search feature to find the podcasts, they are not there.

I just do not get it!

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 09:26:41 pm »
Please provide links to the iTunes Store listings as well as links to the PowerPress feeds so we can take a look.

Berney J Wilkinson

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 05:47:52 am »
Here is a link to the first: http://thementalbreakdown.com/category/tmb-podcast/feed/

and the second: http://thementalbreakdown.com/category/edupodcast/feed/

Here is a link to the iTunes Store for the first: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-mental-breakdown/id972400626?mt=2

And for the second: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/paedeia-education-podcast/id1053309433?mt=2 (this one does not come up at the iTunes store, for some reason the same thing comes up fort his one as was the first).

As I mentioned before, I really am a novice with all of this. That said, I am pretty certain something is wrong with my feeds. That is what I will be looking at this morning. When I set up my original podcast, The Mental Breakdown, I was using it as a "Podcast Channel." When I added the second, I shifted to "Category Podcasting." Again, it has worked well for months, but I am wondering if it is a problem that I still have both podcasts listed under "Podcast Channel" and "Category Podcast," especially since I just realized this morning that the feeds for the two types (Channel vs. Category) are different... I just noticed this morning that under my Blubrry Basic Settings, the boxes for both Category and Channel are checked. I will not change that yet, as when I tried to uncheck the Channel box, it said I needed to delete the channels first...

One final note from this morning. I posted our newest podcasts - one for each podcast - this morning. Again, when I go to the "My Podcasts" tab, both podcasts are listed, as expected. However, when I go to the iTunes store, they are not there.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 06:15:18 am by Berney J Wilkinson »

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 02:49:50 pm »
The iTunes Store listing for The Mental Breakdown is using this Feedburner feed as its source:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/thementalbreakdown
That Feedburner feed URL is coming up as error 404, nothing there. This is likely the problem you're having with this iTunes Store listing.

The iTunes Store listing for Paedeia Education is also using the same Feedburner feed. Something on your website may be forwarding all of your feeds to that Feedburner feed. See if you've got any Feedburner related plugins such as Feedsmith and turn them off.

Berney J Wilkinson

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 08:13:49 pm »
I have searched through everything, or so it feels, at least. I cannot find any sign of anything Feedburner related on my site. No Feedsmith, not Smartcast, nothing. Perhaps I just do not know where to look, though I have gone through all of my plugins and widgets.

I read the article at Blubrry about Leaving Feedburner. While I did not read it before I got rid of it, I am pretty sure I did everything listed on the site. That is, I deleted the feed and I am pretty sure that I did so with the "permanent redirection."

Also, when I click on the Feedburner feed you provided in your post, it works for me. It gave me the option to add it as a subscription and then linked all of the feeds for The Mental Breakdown...

This is so extremely frustrating!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 08:18:57 pm by Berney J Wilkinson »

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 03:20:12 am »
How long ago did you do the permanent delete/redirection of the Feedburner feed? It's still coming up as a 404 for me.

Berney J Wilkinson

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 07:06:02 am »
It was on Friday when I deleted and cancelled Feedburner.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 12:55:37 pm »
The feeds you're using are category feeds but you said you also turned on custom channels. There's really no need to have both going at the same time. Still, hover your mouse over the PowerPress link in the left-hand menu of your WordPress dashboard and select Podcast Channels. Post a list here of the URLs of the channel(s) that are there. Also, click the Edit link underneath each one and see if something's been entered in the Feedburner Feed URL field.

Berney J Wilkinson

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 04:16:33 pm »
Thanks again. Here are the URLs:

http://thementalbreakdown.com/feed/podcast/
http://thementalbreakdown.com/feed/edupodcast/

So, yeah, they are different. I thought I was podcasting by category (the links from an earlier post). Should I get rid of the Podcast Channels? When I attempted to un-check that box on my basic settings, it said I needed to delete them, so I did not want to do that without someone saying I should... :-) I have already done too much without appropriate guidance...

Oh yeah, I clicked "Edit" for both and neither of them have anything in the Feedburner Feed URL field. I went ahead and checked for the same under my Category Podcast link, and the field was empty there as well.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 04:20:09 pm by Berney J Wilkinson »

Berney J Wilkinson

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 05:56:49 pm »
Update:

I went on to pocastsconnect.apple.com, logged in and tried my category feeds.

For The Mental Breakdown it says the status is "prepared for submission" and has my artwork and all of my episodes listed.

For the Paedeia it says the status is "failed validation" and could not download my episodes. It did, however, have my artwork.

When I typed in the feed burner url you mentioned previously, it said that it could not be found.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 01:09:13 pm »
You can go ahead and delete the custom channels and then uncheck the podcast channels box and save the changes.

The category feed for the education show doesn't have any enclosure tags. That's probably the reason Podcasts Connect didn't accept it. When I go to the category page on your website, I see the media players are there so this is unusual. Make sure that the entries for the education podcast are only in the one category they need for the podcast. Putting them in multiple categories doesn't work with PowerPress. Also, make sure each podcast episode is verified and that the time length of the episode and file size are included.

Berney J Wilkinson

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 01:40:17 pm »
I will go back and check again, but I always verify the podcasts before I post.

I was able to delete the Podcast Channel for The Mental Breakdown, but the Paedeia one says that it cannot delete it because the "Feed contains 16 episodes."

I'll keep working on it. I also emailed iTunes through the iTunes Connect page. I will see where that gets me.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 06:05:58 pm »
It looks like the Paedeia episodes were put into the custom podcast channel you created, and that's keeping them from appearing in the category feed.

It's gonna be kinda annoying but I think the best plan for you is going to be to go thru each of the Paedeia posts and remove the podcast episodes. You can leave the blog posts but go thru and remove the podcast episodes. Then, delete the custom channel, then add each of the episodes back to the site, ensuring you've selected the proper category for them.

An alternative, if it's not confusing to you, would be to drop the Paedeia category feed and use the custom channel feed instead.

Berney J Wilkinson

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 06:18:37 pm »
I was actually thinking that changing from the category feed to the channel feed for both may be the best way to go. Does that make sense? Would that lose anything? The two podcasts are pretty different and are not just separated based upon category, they really are two channels.

I will give that a try and see what happens. I will see if I can make them both channels... Will it mean I need to change anything with Blubrry?

This has gotten so much more complicated than I hoped...