Author Topic: Need clarification about Unique Downloads  (Read 1300 times)

Brian Durkin

• Rookie
Need clarification about Unique Downloads
« on: March 18, 2016, 12:26:58 pm »
Does this calculation only happen on a per episode basis or does it track the history of the podcast?

I understand that IP addresses are used to calculate unique downloads. I'm just trying to gauge how I can figure out if I'm actually acquiring or attracting new listeners to the show as a whole. For example if my 1st episode has 100 downloads with 60 uniques and my 2nd episode has 200 downloads with 120 uniques. Can some of the unique downloads from episode 2 be the same IPs that triggered unique download events in episode 1?

Side Note: How do you like to interpret your podcasting stats? Do you look at total or unique as a better representation of your listenership?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Need clarification about Unique Downloads
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 08:17:08 pm »
Unique downloads is the best way to measure overall audience size. In the scenario you've described, with 60 uniques on episode 1 and 120 uniques on episode 2, it's almost certain that most of the uniques from episode 1 are also uniques on episode 2. The stats don't count uniques once and then never counts them again. It counts them on a per-episode basis.

Kirk McElhearn

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 12:00:05 pm »
You're making the assumption that any multiple downloads from the same IP address are from the same person, but there's no way you can do that. I know that my podcast is listened to by a number of people at a fruit company in California, and uniques are therefore skewed. is there really no way to get more precise stats?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 10:02:45 am »
Kirk,

Shawn is wrong when he said "Unique downloads is the best way to measure overall audience size". The unique IP information is for auditing purposes. It helps us when discussing measurement with an ad buyer or podcaster, it is easy to explain the unique IP total first (easily reproducible). When we explain that the delta between downloads and unique factors in large networks such as corporate networks, wifi hot spots, phone networks, university dorms, etc... it quickly makes sense.

When we see multiple requests from the same IP using the same user agent it goes into a special process in our system to identify the uniqueness of the download/play. In most cases (there are exceptions, e.g. wifi hotspot) we determine that there is only one download. We use information such as the byte range request data to determine which portion of the file is requested. More specifically we look at user agents which we see a lot of duplicate IPs from such as Stitcher and the podcast iOS app (mobile apps). These applications will break a download into smaller chunks by means of "byte range requests". These byte range requests when viewed by applications like AWStats appear as downloads. Sometimes they get this right and report them as "hits". In truth they are partial downloads that are then stitched together by the application.

We had a podcaster who had 100 unique downloads for an episode who reported another 900 downloads coming from one IP address in his AWStats all in the same day. We know that in all practical terms there is no way 90% (900 of 1,000 if we used his math) of his audience came from one IP address.

It is hard to gauge "subscribers" but we have some basic tips at the bottom of this page how to estimate them: http://create.blubrry.com/manual/statistics-analytics-measuring-performance/ Essentially the first 3 days of downloads are, for the most part, coming from users subscribed to your podcast.