Author Topic: Downloading Podcast Error  (Read 3318 times)

Mark Fox

Downloading Podcast Error
« on: February 05, 2016, 05:24:09 am »
We are using the latest version of Wordpress and Powerpress

We have no other plugins installed.

If you search for our podcast on itunes and go to the drop down list you can download it no problem, but as soon as you subscribe and download it doesn't let you..

"Unable to Dwonload Podcast"
"podcast title - could not be downloaded at this time"

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Downloading Podcast Error
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 10:54:44 am »
What is the URL of your iTunes Store listing?

Mark Fox

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 11:21:50 am »

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 02:45:44 pm »
The iTunes Store listing is being powered by this podcast feed:
http://www.grenadejay.com/feed/podcast/

I tried to validate the feed using two different services and they both returned errors saying that the feed isn't actually there. It's possible that there's a conflict happening with either another plugin or the WordPress theme. This page has suggestions on how to diagnose the problem:
http://create.blubrry.com/resources/powerpress/using-powerpress/diagnosing-feed-andor-player-issues-with-powerpress/

Mark Fox

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 05:02:59 am »
Hi might have been an intermittent error with feed but it's up and running now, however same problem persists, any ideas?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 12:35:22 pm »
The podcast RSS feed is validating now. Also, I subscribed to the show using iTunes on my Mac and had no difficulty downloading or streaming the two most recent episodes. I think the error you were receiving is related to the same problem I had when I first tried looking at your feed. I think your overall website is going down from time to time and it's making the podcasts unavailable to download. You may want to check with your web hosting provider and see if they've had any problems lately with uptime.

Mark Fox

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 03:39:11 pm »
Thanks but that's not the issue, if you open the iOS podcast app on iPhone and try to download an episode it fails.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 08:19:45 pm »
Delete the subscription in the iOS Podcasts app, completely close out the app from the tray, relaunch the app and resubscribe. See if the problem persists.

Mark Fox

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 02:13:58 am »
Tried the above but same error persists

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 12:28:21 pm »
I subscribed to Mindset With Muscle using the iOS Podcasts app on my iPhone 6 Plus and my iPad Mini Retina (both running the latest versions of everything) and I had no trouble downloading or streaming the episodes available in the feed. To me, it looks like everything is working as expected. I'm not really sure what else to advise.

Mark Fox

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 01:00:38 pm »
Yes they work fine when you search for it and download but doesnt work when you are subscribed to it and then download from your "My podcasts" its very bizarre

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 01:06:24 pm »
Now that I've subscribed to the show, it is showing up in the My Podcasts section of the Podcasts app and still, everything is working as expected. This is why I suggested earlier that you should delete the subscription, kill the app, relaunch the app and then resubscribe. It's possible that the app has "cached" something from when the feed wasn't working. The only thing I can think of beyond that is that you might be behind a firewall or some other proxy that's blocking the download. It's really strange.