Author Topic: Â character inserted into some podcast descriptions  (Read 1149 times)

Adriel Michaud

• Rookie
 character inserted into some podcast descriptions
« on: October 23, 2015, 02:31:02 am »
I'm seeing an "Â" character in some of the podcast descriptions in my feed. Have tested removing/re-adding the text with updates between, modifying the text, just can't seem to get them out unless I really shorten the description altogether. Any ideas?

feed: http://www.slamfireradio.com/feed/podcast/

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Â character inserted into some podcast descriptions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 03:08:57 am »
Your WordPress theme or another plugin maybe injecting something into your feed causing the character to show up. This support document can give you some ideas on how to diagnose the issue: http://create.blubrry.com/resources/powerpress/using-powerpress/diagnosing-feed-andor-player-issues-with-powerpress/

Adriel Michaud

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 12:38:24 pm »
Tried disabling all plugins, and I'm using the built-in "Twenty Fourteen" theme. The regular feed doesn't have the  character, whereas the iTunes one from Powerpress does. Weird.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 05:53:47 pm »
Are you copying/pasting text into WordPress from an outside application such as Microsoft Office? Sometimes, copying text like this will cause extra markup characters to carry over that you can't actually see in the WordPress editor.

Adriel Michaud

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 04:36:57 pm »
Nope. Just writing it out directly in WordPress. The special character doesn't appear in the html view on the post either.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 02:10:18 am »
I see that one instance of the unwanted character occurs in the entry for this post: http://www.slamfireradio.com/slam-fire-radio-episode-128/  When I view the post in my web browser, it looks fine.

But when I view the source code for your RSS feed for that entry, I see the unwanted character pop up in these places:

Code: [Select]
<description>This week we talk about Whitetail deer hunting and Matthew gets some key tips for a successful grouse hunt</description>and:
Code: [Select]
<itunes:subtitle>This week we talk about Whitetail deer hunting and Matthew gets some key tips for a successful grouse hunt</itunes:subtitle>
<itunes:summary>This week we talk about Whitetail deer hunting and Matthew gets some key tips for a successful grouse hunt</itunes:summary>

The unwanted character  is unicode for non-breaking space. Something is generating the markup for the unicode character. I see that in the instances where the character pops up, you've got the same exact text every time. You said you're typing the text inside WordPress and that you're not copying it in from an outside application. Are you typing it once inside of WordPress and copying/pasting from there? If so, this may be causing that non-breaking space markup to copy over. I'd advise going into one of the entries that contains the unwanted character and manually changing all of the information in the affected fields. Just delete what's there and type something brand new without copying/pasting anything, then save the post and see if that fixes the problem.

Adriel Michaud

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 12:07:24 pm »
Must have been an encoding thing because the newest update of the plugin (6.1) fixed the problem.

Thanks!